Carving with ms150

Mitch

I'm new to carving I have a ms201 with 16inch bar , 3/8lp chain I'm finding it difficult to control for detail , plus it's not boring in very well, do I need to grind heel off cutter ?

Also have back handled ms150 , does any use these for carving if a what bar and chain as these run 0.43 chain

Cheers

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

As above - all the carving bars will fit on this saw i.e. cannon, oregon, sugihara etc.

You already have a 1/4" drive sprocket so you can use stihl carving chain which already has a shorter top plate.

Got it all here while stock lasts Carving chains

:001_smile:

The stihl carving bar goes straight on the 150 and it has the same chain ... It's not the greatest carving bar for the money but it does the job.

Cheers Matty

Heard they don't last long but if its just for detail do you think it will be ok

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Tsumura has come out with a special bar for the Stihl 150's in the .43 gauge.

Probably will only be available in US when it comes out.

Maybe an idea for you RobD, see if it's worthwhile Sugi hara making some. Apparently Cannon won't be doing any , any time soon.

Here's a link from carvers network,

Carving Post Forum: Re: MS150 Carving Bar

Cheers,

Si

I have been favouring my MS150 over my dime tip saw. The less aggressive .043 micro chain reduces the chance of over cutting in tight places and gives me better control.

There are several bars that can come with it. I use the 12” (3005 008 3405) 3005 mount. The tip is equivalent to a "quarter tip".

THIS IS WHAT STIHL WRITES ABOUT THE CHAIN

For use with chain saws and pole pruners using the ¼” STIHL PICCO™ saw chain and with power up to 1.0 kW, the STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E Mini guide bar is great for pruning, firewood cutting and storm cleanup. The small radius bar nose with reduced diameter sprocket provides enhanced maneuverability while pruning among branches and lessens risk of kickback. Available in 10” (3005 008 3403) and 12” (3005 008 3405) 3005 mount. Accepts drive links of .043 gauge (1.1 mm).

STIHL PICCO™ Micro™ Mini 3 (PMM3) saw chain is a low-kickback, narrow kerf, low-profile chain ideal for smaller chain saws. It is very smooth-cutting and features lightweight cutters that allow more power to be available for cutting. This semi-chisel chain does not usually get dull as fast as full-chisel chain in normal use and is slightly easier to maintain and sharpen. It is specifically designed for corded electric-, battery- and gasoline-powered chain saws or pole pruners with less than 1.5kW (2.0 bhp) of power output.

Applications: The PMM3 chain is ideal for small branches and general cleanup and maintenance around the home. Professionals requiring plunge-cutting should use this chain as well.

STIHL recommends using low-kickback, green-labeled chain and green-labeled reduced-kickback bars on all powerheads.

1/4" PICCO Pitch - Part #3670