Need a new brushcutter, recommendations?

Treewolf

The time has come to invest in a new brushcutter. If anyone could make any recommendations based on their experiences I'd be grateful.

Simple requirement really, I need a machine which will run happily all day with a 12" three-edge mulching blade in rank grass, bramble, etc.

Probably Stihl or Husky (unless anyone can suggest a better alternative), I have no real preference between these but the new Stihl spares policy probably makes me favour Husky.

Any suggestions for machine and best place to buy will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to be either a Stihl FS460 or Husky 545XP (I think that's the correct number)

Not much in in as I understand it.

I've run three FS460s for two years now, no problems apart from annoying vibrating from the shaft. I solved this in the end after months of trial by simply disassembling it completely, steam cleaning the components and lubing with GT85. If it was contaminated however, it's a mystery as to where it came from as the drive head bearings are not greasable.

The 2 mix engines are first class. See this thread

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/26020-new-stihl-strimmers-i-didnt-think-they-could-improve-them-so-much.html

One thing I can tell you for certain is that you won't require more power than an FS460- the blade momentum will do most of the work, and you will just be tickling the throttle as required.

Either model, FR Jones will see you right.

Thank you, very helpful!

I think that you probably mean the Husky 545RXT or RX, but I am having trouble spotting the difference! I can see that one comes with a "Balance X" harness and one a "Balance XT" harness and I am guessing that that is the only difference, but how the harnesses differ is not clear.

Jonesie's prices are as usual very good indeed.

Edited by Treewolf

here we go again. well i use a Honda 435 and its a cracking tool will cut most things. and its a lot cheaper than a husky or sthil. 4 stroke so no mixing. my old 425 lasted 10 years. never missing a beat. now used it for spares for a 425 i picked up in bits. see if you can have a go with one will not be disappointed.

if you are not far you are more than welcome to have a go with it got plenty of places for you to have a go with it. see you are in dorset so not far pm me and will arange a go with it if interested.

A 4stroke doesn't have the speed though, it might have the power, but if you're doing larger areas, you want speed! Yes it's more efficient on fuel, quieter running and a smaller engine with more torque, but it does a lot lower rpm, which won't produce the cut speed to blitz an area

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I have just been through a load of cheap brushcutters, and yes you get what you pay for but you have to start somewhere. The last one was an MTD 4 stroke biggest heap going, never again.

I couldn't quite stretch to a new stihl or husqvarna(pretty expensive out here) so just got an Oleo Mac BC430T. Its amazing, I can use it all day and not know I have been.

As they always say though buy the most expensive and it will be the cheapest in the long run.