Cord shrinkage upon seasoning

baz

Here is a good conundrum.

I contacted a cord supplier today who said they can deliver seasoned cord that was felled last November (a short season) weighing in at around 19t for the trailer load at £1,550. Working out at £81 per ton.

The cord supplier said it'd be a full trailer load so the same volume as 26t of unseasoned wood at £60/t but more wood and less moisture.

The question is how much does cord shrink on seasoning. I've had piles stuck outdoors for 2 years and don't look at it and think where has my wood gone to? it doesn't look any different. I've tried researching the web but there are only guestimates of around 5% to 10% shrinkage going from green to seasoned.

I can see that seasoned wood could lose 25% of its weight if fully seasoned but I'm not convinced it'd lose 25% of it's volume in the process to turn an £81/t part seasoned purchase into the same value as a £60t green purchase price.

My problem is I'm used to buying in tons and selling in volume. I know a ton of hard wood purchased gives me an average yield of 1.84m3 of bagged logs. In this case a ton purchased would need to yield 2.4m3 to deliver the same cost. I can't see that'd be possible with hard wood.

Do folks concur with my thoughts that it doesn't ring true, I'm suspecting it could be a case of smaller trailer being quoted at big trailer prices.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt it a "how much weight you can put in a trailer " thing . The green wood weighs more coz of the moisture content . The dryer wood weighs less so you put more in to bring the weight of the trailer up to max ?

Not with timber trailers as they are filled to the top of the retaining poles. So have the same volume, only the weight varies.

Ok yea ./ Of course . Like on the forwarder sticks up to the pins . Just wondered if his delivery trailer had a max weight allowed and when green ha could not fill it right up but seems not the case from what you say . Could it be a fast one then ?

The volume is constant, the only question is can you stick 25% more tree trunks onto the same trailer if they are 6 months felled over freshly felled. I can't see it myself, I think you can lose 25% in weight but I need to be convinced you lose at the same time more than 25% in volume. You'd need to lose a lot more volume than the weight lost as he said the weight would be 19t on a full load (so effectively the extra wood going in can't add to the dried shipping weight).

It doesn't ring true to me but I am open to be convinced.

Going by my crates that were jammed full at the end of last summer I'd say 5-10% shrinkage was pretty realistic

Must muck up the boys that season in vented bags a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not really just top them off from another bag its a few logs if any.