Consumeristic waste of money?

Syd_B

Changed my Petzl lid 6 months ago, previous one lasted me 5 years. Two new sets of chipper spec muffs and three visors in that time.

I try to get the most out of kit....

However personal safety is far more precious than the cost of some new chainsaw protective trousers or a lid. Some people take it to the extreme with shiny new kit (good for them I say)

But it sounds like you value your safety. Good for you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can just buy a "hygiene kit" for the muffs, they are then pretty much back to new spec.

What do you do with your old lids??

If you sell/pass them on, its no waste, binning them after one year is pretty wasteful IMO.

My last lid was knackerd. Cracked and ruined.

The lid I use now is an Oregon one and to be honest is rubbish anyway. The earmuffs will fall off on the circle bit that they rotate on. And they are just not shaped well. Can get uncomfortable after an hour of wearing them.

And the lid doesn't breath, not enough air holes in it.

Will loot into a better one at the show.

My last lid was knackerd. Cracked and ruined.

The lid I use now is an Oregon one and to be honest is rubbish anyway. The earmuffs will fall off on the circle bit that they rotate on. And they are just not shaped well. Can get uncomfortable after an hour of wearing them.

And the lid doesn't breath, not enough air holes in it.

Will loot into a better one at the show.

We have one of those yellow ones and it is the 'you forgot your own lid' naughty hat. :lol:

We have one of those yellow ones and it is the 'you forgot your own lid' naughty hat. :lol:

No it's to yellow. Orange one. Just not comfy at all. And without good breathing inside it I just sweat non stop.

Will be looking at show anyway.

I agree with GTR' on this one. You know the history of your own PPE. So before the expiry date if its been in an accident or been treated too harshly. But I every year regardless... why the extra cost.

Before the due date if its knackerd.

I'm getting a new lid at the forestry show. Only because my ear defenders are getting knackerd.

Depending on the lid and defenders, I'd probably just replace the defenders or replace the defective bits. Mind, if the lid's only got a few months left on it, I can see the logic in replacing the whole thing. And with recycling the way it is, you can get everything except the foam in the muffs turned into loft insulation or a garden bucket.