So what is the right price?

nod

It will depend on what you bring to the party. As a rule I think 2 experienced guys with truck, chipper, rigging and ch8 should be charging £500 plus vat at least. Trouble is that its hard to find truly experienced work five days a week and you will often be pricing against less qualified part time tree guys for the less skilled jobs. I think any anyone charging less than £200 per man day is doing the industry an in-justice.

It's all right saying £200 per man day but what happens when there is someone who will do it loads cheaper, they get the work and I loose out, then after a bit I have no work and I'm out?? In reality you just gotta get what you can for a job and not be greedy.

Sent from Outerspace.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like has been said I've been doing the job 20odd years, never been asked.

However handing over a portfolio with qualifications and memberships of various organizations is a bit much. of course they're not interested who would be?

put it on the van and ads don't ram it down their throats.

it's just trimming and felling trees not rocket science.

You go your way I'll go mine...

The best customers I've worked for are the ones that DO expect professionalism and require proof thereof. The ones that are purely price focused, well I have the liberty of leaving those people for the "do it for the wood" brigade.

Like has been said I've been doing the job 20odd years, never been asked.

However handing over a portfolio with qualifications and memberships of various organizations is a bit much. of course they're not interested who would be?

put it on the van and ads don't ram it down their throats.

it's just trimming and felling trees not rocket science.

Or perhaps, to put it another way...

With your "20 yrs experience and never been asked" could it be you are a part of the problem? If those within the sector aren't willing to promote and demonstrate standards how can you expect the customer to think anything other than its labourers rates in a tree...

It's all right saying £200 per man day but what happens when there is someone who will do it loads cheaper, they get the work and I loose out, then after a bit I have no work and I'm out?? In reality you just gotta get what you can for a job and not be greedy.

Sent from Outerspace.

Yes your right hodge. You get what you can and what the jobs worth.

Only you know what you can charge and work for... so all these figures thrown about are useless

Pricing £200 per man a day is rock bottom pricing but agree sometimes you just have to get what you can to survive and win it back on other jobs. There was a time when I worked for a company looking for £925 a day for a 3 man team this company knew very well what it needed to earn to be viable and was not being greedy in their rate. I doubt they are hitting that target at the moment and all suffer because of it.

I am feeling the pinch my savings are getting eaten into I'm having to make savings where I can and I've not asked for a pay rise in 3 years and its still not the right time.

I will never run my own thing I have no desire for it, I just want to work the tools and climb the trees how am I as a long term worker going to provide for my future after I am no longer commercially viable, I'd like to go to 4 days and further my education on 1 day, I am far from a top climber and I'd need £175 a day to do this and not all epic days I feel this is a reasonable rate for an average climber top climbers should be on £200-£250+ but that is just dreaming in the UK we are probably to far gone to reverse the attitude that we are just trimmers and fellers.

Or perhaps, to put it another way...

With your "20 yrs experience and never been asked" could it be you are a part of the problem? If those within the sector aren't willing to promote and demonstrate standards how can you expect the customer to think anything other than its labourers rates in a tree...

Oh my! Am I being accused of that most heinous of crimes to be "unprofessional"

We've all had those clients who think we're great, write little notes on headed notepaper with the cheque saying what a wonderful job you did and soooo professional, your problem is you think it should be like that every day.

I don't have to "demonstrate standards" or "promote my sector" I get a call look at the job, talk to them,give them a price and if they like it (and me) i do the job.

works for me.

Ps

if your using hideous corporate speak like that with clients no wonder you're turning them off.

Oh my! Am I being accused of that most heinous of crimes to be "unprofessional"

We've all had those clients who think we're great, write little notes on headed notepaper with the cheque saying what a wonderful job you did and soooo professional, your problem is you think it should be like that every day.

I don't have to "demonstrate standards" or "promote my sector" I get a call look at the job, talk to them,give them a price and if they like it (and me) i do the job.

works for me.

Ps

if your using hideous corporate speak like that with clients no wonder you're turning them off.

Touched a nerve?