Big trees = less money ( prophet )

Stubby

Completely agree. Every man and his dog price the big jobs so price will usually be tight. And as Mr Bolam said, if your not kitted up for the big jobs, i.e hiab etc, then it takes time and a lot of hand balling. It might not be uncommon to have a couple of tranny loads of saw dust!! IME the bigger the job/tree the harder work it is also. When you're younger its great doing the big jobs (don't get me wrong, I do still enjoy them), but now I prefer a little birch section, in and out in less than 90 mins, £180 thank you.

That's were I'm coming from . Several barrow loads of saw dust . Managed to leave some around the stump as it was a flower bed and the grinder is coming in anyways .

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger the tree, the bigger the hassle. Unless you can fell them over in a one-er:D

You usually find a hidden gem in the stem that blunts yer chain and kills any chance of an early finish.

Even more frustrating when the client comes out with the classic "i didn't realise so much goes into taking a 100ft tree down" after they've haggled over the price.

trees, waves and cakes!!:-)

The bigger the tree, the bigger the hassle. Unless you can fell them over in a one-er:D

You usually find a hidden gem in the stem that blunts yer chain and kills any chance of an early finish.

Even more frustrating when the client comes out with the classic "i didn't realise so much goes into taking a 100ft tree down" after they've haggled over the price.

trees, waves and cakes!!:-)

Oh yea if you can have em over its a lot easier . usually you can get the chipper close to the action , also for carting the logs . We do get some lioke that . Its the domestic gardens that are the problem .

I think big trees are much better than most of the small stuff as you are on the job for a full shift for a day or 2 no down time travelling between jobs that's where a lot of time is wasted , someone mentioned extra fuel this should be calculated in the price along with every other cost I would have thought but yes stick to your price as that is what you have quoted therefor need for this job and I personally think if you can move then its been too high in the first place and makes you look a wee bit silly

When a person has a big tree to be done they normally get a bunch of quotes, at least one guy who comes to look at it is going to be desperate or totally screw up the price and will generally get the job. Not only that but big removals are often one offs, not on going work.The risk and cost of screwing up are high to.

We are currently on a job which has required 3 guys for 3 days, the 88's and 3120 have been burning 20l of chainsaw mix a day. Big chains, bars and hard graft. Very expensive on man and machine (and this job doesn't require chip or wood gone).

In comparison someone has there 3 yearly garden clean up of trees, they get less quotes, you can go through less than a litre of 2 stroke, put some time on the silkys and loppers, leave with a mostly empty truck and pull pretty much the same money per day without the expense or back ache. And in 3 years they will get you back.

Don't get me wrong, I love the big take downs, they are what we live for, but not what we make a living from

When a person has a big tree to be done they normally get a bunch of quotes, at least one guy who comes to look at it is going to be desperate or totally screw up the price and will generally get the job. Not only that but big removals are often one offs, not on going work.The risk and cost of screwing up are high to.

We are currently on a job which has required 3 guys for 3 days, the 88's and 3120 have been burning 20l of chainsaw mix a day. Big chains, bars and hard graft. Very expensive on man and machine (and this job doesn't require chip or wood gone).

In comparison someone has there 3 yearly garden clean up of trees, they get less quotes, you can go through less than a litre of 2 stroke, put some time on the silkys and loppers, leave with a mostly empty truck and pull pretty much the same money per day without the expense or back ache. And in 3 years they will get you back.

Don't get me wrong, I love the big take downs, they are what we live for, but not what we make a living from

Wise words, there is always gonna be busy fools with knackered kit found ng jobs for peanuts. I am happy if I get what I need for the day with truck and chipper and profit.

Sent from Outerspace.

Should have said that thats two all singing whistles blowing top blokes both capable of downing 8 pints of Thatchers at the end of the day, AND WHO CAN BANG THE SAME WORK ETHICS OUT THE NEXT DAY, we breed them hard , fast and skilled down here in Somerset :thumbup: Hi Stubby , you know me :thumbup1:

We made a good team jesse :thumbup:

Mmmm agreed . We weren't actually making it a loss leader as such but there is the promise of a lot more work here . Fingers crossed !

Should have said that thats two all singing whistles blowing top blokes both capable of downing 8 pints of Thatchers at the end of the day, AND WHO CAN BANG THE SAME WORK ETHICS OUT THE NEXT DAY, we breed them hard , fast and skilled down here in Somerset :thumbup: Hi Stubby , you know me :thumbup1:

Hi Jesse . Hope you are well bud . Do I actually know you ??????:001_smile:

Again I totally agree with this.

At this point I would like to apologise to everyone I have quoted against when I put silly money on a big tree. I guess we have all been guilty, sometimes you just get it wrong.

I also agree that once you have given a price you need to stick to it, unless you alter the spec.

'You know I said £2.5k? Well we'll do it for £1900 because I was trying to rip you a new ahole first time around....'