Wedding present

Forest2Furniture

I don't post pics of what I make to often but this one is a bit special, so I thought I'd share it.

I made a bed frame as a wedding present for my eldest son and his new wife (they got married last Saturday).

The headboard is made from a single plank of English Yew cut from a tree grown in the grounds of Nottingham University and the rest of the wood is Sweet Chestnut cut from a tree grown in King's Wood, Sherwood Forest.

(the only place I could take the pic was in me front room in front of the unlit fire, hence the brass fender underneath)

The curve of the footboard follows the original line of the bark, which I cut off.

5976652f38167_headfoot3.jpg.bbad2755e4514e2729b49f403e7b9d5c.jpg

That looks fantastic bud, id love to have one.

I bet there'll be over the moon, knowing that you took the time out to make this for them.

👍👍👍

Thanks .

There were a few tears (I think it was of joy!)when they collected it last night.

Most of the Yew tree had been ringed up for firewood by the time I was notified so only managed to get 6 x 6ft boards as halfway done hit a large nail that took off 4 teeth but the quality of the wood was worth it.

I don't post pics of what I make to often but this one is a bit special, so I thought I'd share it.

I made a bed frame as a wedding present for my eldest son and his new wife (they got married last Saturday).

The headboard is made from a single plank of English Yew cut from a tree grown in the grounds of Nottingham University and the rest of the wood is Sweet Chestnut cut from a tree grown in King's Wood, Sherwood Forest.

(the only place I could take the pic was in me front room in front of the unlit fire, hence the brass fender underneath)

The curve of the footboard follows the original line of the bark, which I cut off.

Hi f2f very nice mate well done mate Jon

Nice work mate, about to start work on a walnut bed soon(under orders from the woman). I'm interested what method you used to fix head/foot board to the rails. Thanks

James

I morticed the rails into the legs by about an inch so that the legs take the weight the made 'L' brackets in Oak that I screwed and glued to the rails so that once the rails were inserted into the legs the bracket hooked around the leg, it could then be screwed to the leg and also through the tenon that way securing everything (hopefully) in place.

I sort out a photo that will help explain it better.

The key thing is that the rail is morticed into the leg, don't use dowels they are not strong enough, I've lost count of the number of beds I've repaired for (redfaced) customers were the dowels have broken!