Owen Paterson MP = Plonker

TimberCutterDartmoor

GM crops have nothing to do with "benefitting mankind" its all about profit for the companies that provide the seeds which are sterilised. In other words you cant save some seeds from your crop to plant next year's crop. You have to purchase them from the company. Eventually the local suppliers will all go bust because the GM crop seed manufacturers (and that word was used deliberately) can undercut them and then dominate the market charging whatever they like. The lengths that these companies will go to, to eradicate the opposition is astonishing and have highly placed staff in the corridors of power in the US. If you haven't read up on it I suggest you do because it is fascinating seeing how far they will go to peddle their lies and disinformation. Farmers in the US who oppose the likes of Monsanto etc have been dragged through the courts and threatened with bankruptcy just for daring to have a different opinion to them. There's no such thing as democracy any more and the 'land of the free' is certainly not the US.

The community channel did a documentary last year about it interviewing US farmers and activists opposed to GM crops and it had me glued to the telly for an hour and a half.

More switched on answer :thumbup:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM crops have nothing to do with "benefitting mankind" its all about profit for the companies that provide the seeds which are sterilised. In other words you cant save some seeds from your crop to plant next year's crop. You have to purchase them from the company. Eventually the local suppliers will all go bust because the GM crop seed manufacturers (and that word was used deliberately) can undercut them and then dominate the market charging whatever they like. The lengths that these companies will go to, to eradicate the opposition is astonishing and have highly placed staff in the corridors of power in the US. If you haven't read up on it I suggest you do because it is fascinating seeing how far they will go to peddle their lies and disinformation. Farmers in the US who oppose the likes of Monsanto etc have been dragged through the courts and threatened with bankruptcy just for daring to have a different opinion to them. There's no such thing as democracy any more and the 'land of the free' is certainly not the US.

The community channel did a documentary last year about it interviewing US farmers and activists opposed to GM crops and it had me glued to the telly for an hour and a half.

Well said.:thumbup:

Good propoganda requires to be well presented.

Anyone remember the "MMR" scare.

David against Goliath

Except David (being the Dr. who was struck off) was absolutly wrong, but many people still choose to believe him rather than the authorities (who btw, i am well aware are capable of lying through their teeth when it suits)

The "masses" are all too easily swayed, especially if a faceless corporation can be protrayed as the "baddie".

Regards,

Marcus

Monsanto is most assuredly, a baddie.

Just check out some of the lawsuits they have brought in the US and Canada against conventional and organic farmers whose land has become infected with GM from local farms which have grown GM. Not to mention the underhanded tactics they use on anyone they suspect of growing crops which have been infected.

They tell lies about their products too. Golden Rice, was marketed as a cure for people in third world countries, who were going blind as a result of malnutrition, what they failed to mention, is that if you are so malnourished that you may be going blind, then your bodies cannot process Vitamin A which is locked up in food, because you lack many of the other vitamins and minerals needed for the processing to occur.

A cynical and nasty PR exercise, which they are still pursuing to this day.

What no one seems to consider in all this is what happens, in Monsanto World, when all of the "Wild Strains" have gone, when only one strain of corn, or rice exists in the world, Monsantos'. Where does our genetic diversity (the driving force behind evolution) come from?

If something comes along that Monsanto can't deal with in the lab, and we have no diversity in our cereal crops.

WE ALL DIE!

Good propoganda requires to be well presented.

Anyone remember the "MMR" scare.

David against Goliath

Except David (being the Dr. who was struck off) was absolutly wrong, but many people still choose to believe him rather than the authorities (who btw, i am well aware are capable of lying through their teeth when it suits)

The "masses" are all too easily swayed, especially if a faceless corporation can be protrayed as the "baddie".

Regards,

Marcus

Difflock where did you get this information? I don't think it's as clear cut as you suggest, Documents emerge proving Dr Andrew Wakefield innocent; BMJ and Brian Deer caught misrepresenting the facts

Personally I think it's worth listening to the Dr. defend himself, it is also interesting to listen to him talk about the recent measles outbreak in S. Wales, link to videos of Dr. Wakefield interviewed.

I havn't got time to find links on GMOs showing why France banned them, it was a study on GMO potatoes showing 3rd generation rats with high stomac cancer rates and really bad fertility numbers, Monsanto (bless them) had studied effects up to the first generation only, effects showed up in later generations. When I read it I thought how effective this would be to depopulate the planet, probably why the eugenics crowd are pushing them along with the overpopulation meme. ;)

But again

dammned statistics.

Some of these "statistics" fail to mention the entirely unreal/unrealistic sceanario or regime that leads to the deaths/incidences of cancer etc.

Like feeding the subject 1000's of times more than they are ever likely to consume normally.

Or the sometimes "causeal" link (mispelled I tink)

such as

The birth control pill causing cervical cancer.

Cos the early statistics indicated this to be the case.

Fact was it was not the Pill, but the fact that women on the Pill could enjoy an unrestricted sex life with multiple partners.

Which multiple partners were the actual cervical cancer causing factor.

And indeed based on the 1000's of times methodology.

Based on that logic beer is a deadly posion.

But again

dammned statistics.

Some of these "statistics" fail to mention the entirely unreal/unrealistic sceanario or regime that leads to the deaths/incidences of cancer etc.

Like feeding the subject 1000's of times more than they are ever likely to consume normally.

Or the sometimes "causeal" link (mispelled I tink)

such as

The birth control pill causing cervical cancer.

Cos the early statistics indicated this to be the case.

Fact was it was not the Pill, but the fact that women on the Pill could enjoy an unrestricted sex life with multiple partners.

Which multiple partners were the actual cervical cancer causing factor.

And indeed based on the 1000's of times methodology.

Based on that logic beer is a deadly posion.

Where do you get your facts from, that the pill did not cause massive increases in cervical cancer? Mrs Egg is a scientist that did a lot of studying on this subject in the late eighties. Lots of the evidence that was gathered pointed to the pill being a major cause of cervical cancer. I can't go into it much further this evening as Mrs Egg is in bed, but I'm sure she can add a lot more to this subject.

Where do you get your facts from, that the pill did not cause massive increases in cervical cancer? Mrs Egg is a scientist that did a lot of studying on this subject in the late eighties. Lots of the evidence that was gathered pointed to the pill being a major cause of cervical cancer. I can't go into it much further this evening as Mrs Egg is in bed, but I'm sure she can add a lot more to this subject.

I think STI'S play a major part in cervical cancer.

Possibly that women taking the pill slept around more which led to increased STI'S etc.