What should quotations cover?

Smith126

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rupes quite right " if" you are paying sick pay to your guy and he turns up Monday morning with a torn knee from the weekend then I agree that's his problem but worse if the so called injury suddenly happens at 9 on Monday and off for 6 weeks because of it that's when I think we have reason to question it . On the quote subject I would write exactly what you will do and make sure they understand it cause we have had people say oh I thought x y z was included

Rupes quite right " if" you are paying sick pay to your guy and he turns up Monday morning with a torn knee from the weekend then I agree that's his problem but worse if the so called injury suddenly happens at 9 on Monday and off for 6 weeks because of it that's when I think we have reason to question it . On the quote subject I would write exactly what you will do and make sure they understand it cause we have had people say oh I thought x y z was included

I think that if he did it on a Saturday afternoon playing sport you would be paying sick pay regardless.

I cannot see how he would have the right to instantly dismiss a bloke for doing his friends and family's trees at the weekend, same for every industry? Can a mechanic not fix his family's cars?

I can see both sides as being an employer and employee because I have done the same. If a family member asked one of my employees (when I had them) to do a job then I wouldn't have a problem, maybe I would even hire them the chipper but if it was for a friend or a friend of a friend or they were doing it regulary or taking jobs I had priced then I wouldn't be so happy and would get rid. I think the op should use common sense really, and I don't think if I was doing a job for family I would be writing quotes with payment terms etc, I would agree a price for what they want and that's that. We all knows it goes on he just needs to use his noodle a bit:)

Sent from Outerspace.

I can see both sides as being an employer and employee because I have done the same. If a family member asked one of my employees (when I had them) to do a job then I wouldn't have a problem, maybe I would even hire them the chipper but if it was for a friend or a friend of a friend or they were doing it regulary or taking jobs I had priced then I wouldn't be so happy and would get rid. I think the op should use common sense really, and I don't think if I was doing a job for family I would be writing quotes with payment terms etc, I would agree a price for what they want and that's that. We all knows it goes on he just needs to use his noodle a bit:)

Sent from Outerspace.

+1 :thumbup:

A bit of common sense ain't all that common however!

With injuries at the weekend, yes you would have to pay sick pay but if it persisted the employer would be within their rights to say "this isnt working out" and then go and employ someone who doesnt injure themselves at weekends.

I didnt mean this thread to go off on a who's allowed to what at weekend tangent, just trying to inform the OP that some caution should be considered. I dont know if he has a trusting boss and all will be well.

I say go for it and do family jobs at the weekend, just keep it quiet. The less that know about it the better. If your on PAYE then have nothing about it on paper, and so by that score you dont need a written quote, if its family and friends only then a verbal price would surely be fine?

If you need to go as far as providing a written quote with payment terms and how long your quote is valid for (as suggested above) then that sounds like your going beyond friends and family to me.