New product idea (book) - Feedback please!

martwizz

Thanks for all the support and interest. I will begin the processing of developing some formats, and test pages, will keep you all updated!

I'll bump this thread up to the top again for some more attention. If you have any other suggestions for information on each species, that would be great! The more ideas the merrier :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I have trees uk app, but its a ident app. Chapters use, characteristics of the timber and firewood / calorific info would be really useful.

I agree with members regards an app. The info is out there but I can take some finding. If correlated into a app of book would save time and be a useful reference

Good luck

Great idea and if produced would be something i would defiantly buy :)

As a student this year I would have killed to have a book like this, as finding information like this on the internet is a painfully grueling task and is extremely time consuming.

Good look in the production I am sure all will go well and will be successful :)

• 3 months later...

An update for all those interested (please refer to first page if you are not familiar with this project!)

The chosen format for this project is likely to be a wikipedia-style website, which would in the future be translated to a mobile-friendly website (maybe an app). This website would comprehensively cover all information available for each species. At the top of each page would be a summary of basic and niche information/statistics, with the remaining detailed information displayed in a series of tabs, which would have to be opened to view information. Information within each tab may be loaded separately from the main page to keep loading times down. (Images are coming, watch this space)

Although starting with UK tree species, the project would expand to include every tree. After confirming a format and producing some sample pages, a tool would be produced to allow users to submit information. Information must be submitted with a legitimate reference, and submissions would be moderated to prevent inaccuracies.

There would also be support for images and video media on the site. Photographs would be 'rateable' with a 5-star system, so that the highest rated images show first. The initial page would show perhaps 4 images (those with the highest rating), while remaining image submission could be browsed separately. This enables users to understand what the tree looks like without over-cluttering the page, and allows for searching through images for the perfect picture to suit their needs.

Users would be encouraged to submit images (as well as rate existing images). Users also encouraged to submit referenced information, and report information which they beleive to be inaccurate.

I appreciate that if the project were to be successful, several full-time moderators may be required to manage the site and research information to both continue making submissions, and check information submitted by users.

As before, I welcome absolutely any feedback or criticism for this idea. This project is meant to be useful to YOU. What are your needs and concerns? Do you have any cool ideas? Please share.

Thanks for your support and interest :)

I believe your idea has merrit. I also feel that the price estimate first posted will be to low to cover your cost. I believe doubling that cost will be closer to the mark, however well worth the investment for such a reference guide. Continue to stay focused and be prepared for this project to absorb a fair amount of time. All the best.

easy-lift guy

I believe your idea has merrit. I also feel that the price estimate first posted will be to low to cover your cost. I believe doubling that cost will be closer to the mark, however well worth the investment for such a reference guide. Continue to stay focused and be prepared for this project to absorb a fair amount of time. All the best.

easy-lift guy

In regards to the first post, fixed price is now out of the window anyway. Perhaps a subscription based scheme could be put into place for the extra info, or alternatively revenue through sponsorship or advertising. However this isn't currently a priority.

Thanks for your input!

This is a sample to demonstrate what the website might look like for each species. Imagine a page like this for every species of tree.

The top section of the page is a quick-reference summary with objective ratings to give an idea of a variety of properties.

Below this are expandable tabs, which each require sub-menus containing extensive and complete information on a variety of subjects specific to the species. In the picture, as an example, the 'identification' tab is open, within which the 'cultivars and varieties' tab has been clicked. The information inside is just an example to show what may be included, however i would expect this particular subject to contain a great deal more information that i have summarised in this example.

Please keep in mind this is a sample for the FORMAT of the page, rather than the content of the page itself (which may not be 100% accurate or comprehensive).

Feedback greatly appreciated :thumbup:

5976667cba7a1_samplepage1.jpg.cf108a953b2b50ea6fe5476732bd5035.jpg

Great idea!

Only advice from me - keep it clean looking as in nice looking pages without any clutter and keep it simple...

I have a couple of in depth tree ID books and never open them as too much info in there!

:001_smile: