Chainsaw Bar Oil

Andy Gentle

Quite a few years ago we went over to using biodegradable bar oil in the interests of the environment and also operators health.

Oregon Arborol has now been increased to an RRP of £100 (can be got for £60)for a 25ltr can compared to £32 for mineral oil. After shopping around the cheapest I can get biodegradable stuff for is £2 per Ltr in bulk (200 at a time).

Can anyone better this as I am thinking of going back to using mineral oil and only using the other stuff for climbers saws and when working near or over water?

What does everybody else use?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plant Oil, about £45 for 25l

You might find that has changed, got a quote from them this week and the cheapest way of buying 25ltrs is 9-15 drums at £50 a drum. We stopped using plant oil about 2yrs ago as it made everything sticky and black and if you left a saw un-used for a few weeks it set like glue in the bar:confused1:

I use stihl part sythetic. I do have the stihl bio for enviro sensitive areas.

I would like to fully convert to bio for my health my workers health and the enviro as we can breath in upto a litre of chain oil a year.

But but but i cant justifie the expensive price its to dear twice the price and yes it gunks up after few weeks.

I know of a company which uses chip oil haha but i think its to thin myself.:confused1:

I use stihl part sythetic. I do have the stihl bio for enviro sensitive areas.

I would like to fully convert to bio for my health my workers health and the enviro as we can breath in upto a litre of chain oil a year.

But but but i cant justifie the expensive price its to dear twice the price and yes it gunks up after few weeks.

I know of a company which uses chip oil haha but i think its to thin myself.:confused1:

Yeah -an it makes you so desperate fr cod n chips..........

Given the choice -cheapest oil will do-cept on SSSI sites, not really seen the benefits in 20 odd years worth of sawing.

K

I was quoted £53.00 for a 20L drum of the stihl bio oil last week...

So I promptly went and got a 25L drum of the Oregon Super Saw Chain Oil for £32!

The bio oils are good for the environment, yes. But not good for the operator.

As the bio oils are made from plants and veg oils, they actually contain some pretty harmful stuff.

As far as I am aware you could pretty much drink the normal mineral oil and it wouldnt do you any harm at all.

I was quoted £53.00 for a 20L drum of the stihl bio oil last week...

So I promptly went and got a 25L drum of the Oregon Super Saw Chain Oil for £32!

The bio oils are good for the environment, yes. But not good for the operator.

As the bio oils are made from plants and veg oils, they actually contain some pretty harmful stuff.

As far as I am aware you could pretty much drink the normal mineral oil and it wouldnt do you any harm at all.

That's interesting I was led to believe it was the other way round, you got me having doubts now, more research needed methinks.

Does anyone else have a view on which is more harmful to health?