You might say I'm a dreamer...

JN9

...but hopefully you'll all tell me that my ambitions of a new career are very possible...

So here goes (and please, tell me I'm being an idiot if that is indeed the case)... I decided that this office lark is not for me anymore and that I'm more suited for the outdoor life, and having looked around (briefly), that tree surgery is just the thing for me. I am starting absolutley from stratch and at the age of 28 I have very little to no experience in this field, in fact I don't even have a driving license.

Anyway, let me bulletpoint my brand new life plan, and please offer suggests, or just pick massive gaping holes in it if pleases you.

-I have already volunteered to help out at my local country park just to make sure that I enjoy outdoor work (I really think I will. So assuming that is the case...)

-Learn to drive.

-Earn enough money to take a 6 month course in tree surgery. Fast Track Tree Surgery Course : Proclimber Professional Arborist Products Online, Supplies for the professional arborist

-Pass said course

-Get relavent job

-Undertake a woodlands conservation management degree, as I am aware that tree surgery probably isn't a job for life.

Please let me know that this is all very doable... I'm going to give it a crack even if you tell me I'm

Well you've got a plan, that's the important thing! you're definitley not too old at 28, I started at 30 and am still at it 20 years later.

Be aware there are a lot of colleges training people so there's rather a glut ATM.

There is no reason why you shouldn't achieve everything on the list.

Well stone me! I didn't expect such a positive response. I was expecting a list of posts from people telling me how much it'll cost to get started up and how much insurance is (which I'm sure are both things that need to be taken into consideration, but not necessarily put me off). Thanks for all the positivity, just what I needed!:thumbup1:

Thanks kevinjohnsonmbe for your post... I was hoping to get an idea of what challenges I'll be facing...

I live in Southampton and will probably be based there for the forseeable future. Right next to the New Forest. Will this be a help or a hinderance? or indeed not make much difference at all?:confused1:

Sounds like you have a great plan mate, I started at at 23, I have an evening job 6 nights a week whilst studying arboriculture 3 days a week at college, 2 days a week I started doing unpaid work for a local tree surgeon which eventually led to paid work.

I'd recommend to definitely get some on the job experience because its much more helpful alongside the training you will get for your tickets.

SE (Southampton) not my neck-o-the-woods so difficult to offer any useful advice relevant to that area. I spent a short time in Farnborough, the drive into town from where I was staying revealed what I thought was a lot of vans & trucks from arb companies so there must be the work. Might be worth having a look at the 'Employment' forum and see what's posted for your area.

No one can tell you.

Some people are cut out for it, some aren't.

I seem to meet a lot of people who 'used to do tree surgery'.

You'll never know until you try will you?

The short course is a useful starting point, and that's it. You need to work for experienced firms for a while until you even begin to know what it's all about.

It's a good life though.

I've even still got most of my limbs and a small amount of my hair left.