Riddle me this...MS150T & Aspen...(Attn: GardenKit and others)

TerryTibbs

So i got my 150T, great saw, put it straight onto Aspen (i'm a convert - was the only choice for me)

So, it'd run through about 15 tanks, took a little while to get warmed up, no massive issue, revs up to full speed correctly (1/8th turn on L screw), cuts fine BUT when i come off the throttle it cuts out, same thing on application of the chainbrake. Complete nightmare when for example you're putting in a sink cut, then back cut up a tree.

So i decided just to experiment that i would run it on a 2 stroke mix with petrol...and it didn't miss a beat all day, held revs, no cutting out. Perfect.

So why doesn't it work properly on Aspen? As claimed it's meant to be a 'like for like' fuel.

As i said, i'm a convert to Aspen, happy to wear the price increase, but unwilling to have my small engined machines run like a sack of...

(I also use Aspen on my 550XPG and 372)

Answers here please!

Cheers,

Chris

A slight retune of the idle mixture and idle speed is all that is required.

The " 1/8 out" is only an approximation. Some machines need no adjustment at all, but some require a little more..

Start by upping the idle speed on the T screw to obtain an idle, even though it may not be smooth.

Smooth it out by adjusting the L screw slightly, possible towards rich (out). When you have a smooth idle just before the rich drop off point decrease the idle speed on the T screw to an accptable level. Check throttle response for a " flat spot" and as long as the response is ok all should be well.

If you have to adjust the L screw more than 1/2 a turn return to factory settings and seek expert advice.

Good luck Mr Tibbs

I ran mine in on 2/. (20ish tanks) then switched to aspen. I haven't made any adjustments to the carb, I've even had it tached and it's running at manufacturers recommendations, so can't advise on re tuning, but I think mine proves well that they will run on aspen. I think it's dine around 50 tanks now, and running sweet.

Hope you get it sorted:)

Edited by Dan Curtis

Thinking again about cutting out at idle and on brake application, have you checked the clutch springs? If it cuts right out rather than dying off this could be the issue

Don't think 2 stroke cures clutch springs though mate :biggrin:

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App