Lazy police, or just Britain today?

Mobile-sawman.

100% with you on that , You've gotta feel for the oldies in this country ,,,,better stop there or I,ll go on alnight on the subject

I know mate, I think a lot of people feel the same, maybe we should have an uprising and sort this country out:)

Sent from Outerspace.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where the original poster in this thread is coming from but if there is scrap lying around; then it will attract undesirable elements as long as prices for scrap remain good. That's the way it is; why not round up the scrap in the river and weigh it in yourself or get a scrapyard to drop a skip off or invite a known "scrap gatherer" type (everyone knows one!) to drag the river if you don't like getting wet . If it is worth the nomads going for it then it would be worth it for you; just so there is nothing lying about they might keep away. Alternatively they might go for the good stuff but that's life.

The law sir is an ass! Good job they didn't hurt themselves whilst trespassing or you'd be waiting for a solicitors letter instructing you that your being sued. Shame it's not like America where you simply shoot them for being on your property.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Actually here state side it is not that easy to shoot someone simply because some one is on your land. Now if some one enters my domicile and I am in fear for my life, I suspect shortly there after the intruder will be at room temp.:thumbup1:. Know as the Castle law here in the Sunshine State.

easy-lift guy

I understand where the original poster in this thread is coming from but if there is scrap lying around; then it will attract undesirable elements as long as prices for scrap remain good. That's the way it is; why not round up the scrap in the river and weigh it in yourself or get a scrapyard to drop a skip off or invite a known "scrap gatherer" type (everyone knows one!) to drag the river if you don't like getting wet . If it is worth the nomads going for it then it would be worth it for you; just so there is nothing lying about they might keep away. Alternatively they might go for the good stuff but that's life.

The scrap in question has only just become visable, as the water level in the river has dropped due to the recent dry spell. Apart from this, I allow the Environment Agency access to the river bed (my yard is the only way in) once a year to dredge the river. They normaly remove everything, inc scrap metal and tons of pebbles..... you would be amazed at what can get washed down the river while its in full flow!

First of all I will set the scene...... my yard is on the banks of a river, with a small parking area to the front that isnt fenced off (parking for customers) but the yard area is fenced and gated.

I got to the yard this morning and there was a huge pile of scrap metal on my carpark! I then find that 3 "nomadic type scrap collectors" have decided that its perfectly ok to climb over my fence, walk through my yard and help themselves to any scrap metal that has been washed down the river (this section of which I own!)

So.... I ring the police, and in all fairness within 5mins there are 2 vans and a car on scene, and the "nomads" are put in the back of the van. After 20mins or so, one police officer comes over to me and say "err, we cant do anything because nothing has been stolen! I was gobsmacked to say the least!

He explained that as the scrap had been washed down river, it didnt actually belong to anybody, and that if I had indeed put it there, I.E claimed that it was mine, I would be guilty of environmental offences of dumping in a waterway!

Getting a tad annoyed, I say I want them done for trespass- still no joy as the PC says "they might have walked up the river! even though its all on CCTV!

In the end I gave up, but gave the PC a stern warning that if the "nomads" came back, then the police would have a hell of a lot more to deal with and they had better bring an ambulance with them!

So my point is.... If you catch somebody in your yard, dont bother with the police....... they seem to be to lazy even when handed everything on a plate!

It's not right that anybody should cross your land

(without permission) or take anything that belongs to you.

Can you clarify if you have got your scrap laying in the river? You say that you own this part of the river. Is this correct ?

I'm no expert but I'd say the river doesn't do well with metal laying in it, the impact of any metal corroding is cumulative on any of the wildlife, and in fact illegal. The river "land" is owned by the landowners but as a resource it belongs to us all and we pay through the nose to have it kept free of such contamination through funding of the environment agency as the regulator and also in the charges we pay for our water bills.

It's not right that anybody should cross your land

(without permission) or take anything that belongs to you.

Can you clarify if you have got your scrap laying in the river? You say that you own this part of the river. Is this correct ?

I'm no expert but I'd say the river doesn't do well with metal laying in it, the impact of any metal corroding is cumulative on any of the wildlife, and in fact illegal. The river "land" is owned by the landowners but as a resource it belongs to us all and we pay through the nose to have it kept free of such contamination through funding of the environment agency as the regulator and also in the charges we pay for our water bills.

The section of river that I own (approx 3rd of a mile) is the slowest part of the the river (shallowest) and therefore anything that gets washed downstream gets lodged. This is where the PC was coming from...I.E it wasnt MY scrap so to speak... I havnt put ANYTHING in the river, in fact quite the opposite! I have spent countless hours walking up and down picking up plastic bags, bottles etc....

As posted, the EA come in once a year to dredge the river bed, and I allow them access for the very reasons that you are talking about....

Under the 'law on premises liability act' you have a duty of care. Crazy!

But only to a certain degree, and if the 'visitor' is actually a trespasser then that threshold is lower. In other words, somebody visiting to drop off a take-away leaflet ( a bona fide visitor unless you have a sign prohibiting such activity clearly visible at the point of entry to your property) is owed a higher duty of care than somebody who is trespassing. If that visitor then takes the opportunity to do something outside their remit, eg poking around, then their visit is considered to be a trespass from the moment they set foot on your property (ab initio) and the duty of care level is applied as such. Most of the time when you get stories about burglars who sue their victims for damages, it usually pans out that the victim has set a trap or just left property to rack and ruin. Still, it's all good fodder for the Daily Mail.:001_smile:

the law on rivers if you own the the river bank not the water that is not owned.

then as riparian owner you have a duty of care to maintain that stretch.but also anyone entering your bit or fishing. if they do cause damage eg cut up bank pulling scrap out then its criminal damage. also be the scrap not from you but up river as it is now on your land you are the owner of said scrap and is your property. so they could be done for theft, criminal damage as they have damaged bank pulling scrap out. the law on trespass was done away it now is different.

i am not sure but if they pulled it out of river i stand corrected then they become salvagers. and if you salvage then you are bound to clear all the rubbish not just what you want. case in isle of wight fisherman pulled a container in. thinking it may be worth something turned out all inside was ruined as he had salvaged he had to clear it cost him £20k to dispose of all inside and container.

trouble is police limited on what they know re the law on this. and to get them charged would be hard work. no win. unless you want to pay a environmental lawyer to pursue it on your behalf. not cheap calculator.