Defender tyres and other questions?

adamkaye123

Looking at some new tyres for the landy was wondering what you guys think of these? http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/235-70-16/235-70-16-kingpin-all-terrain-p-4996.html?osCsid=11jo4ftoebaamu286f7c4lcnc6

Also chassis showing surface rust would the best thing he to steam clean and hammerite the underside?

Any help appreciated

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App for iPhone

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyres are like most things you get what you pay for. As for the chassis clean off the rust paint it then wax oil the chassis with underseal. Job done.

Okay so waxoyl, no hammerite? And what tyres do you recommend for mainly road driving but off roading aswell?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App for iPhone

Kingpin ditchfinders wear like Brie

I'd agree with that - if you have to go for remoulds, the Insa Turbo version in that pattern wear well, though ours went hard and started cracking after a couple of years so were replaced with a good bit of tread still on them.

The BFG version, though almost twice the price, will more than twice outlast a remould. My current set of old pattern BFG muds have done something like 70,000 odd miles whilst I've had them and weren't new then. They are a bit thin now but I'm happy enough at that.

we have Kumho Road Venture MT KL71s on ours I have heard other say they don't last long on the road but ours have been on over two years and still have loadsa life left :thumbup1: as for rust kill it, kill it now! seen quite a good article in LRO (I think) where they used acid to remove rust before prime and paint

I have Cooper Discoverer STT's and I am more than happy with their performance. However it does say they are a 80/20% off/on road tire, but I've had no problems being mainly on road. They are a little noisy but when you get out on the lanes you know where the money went.

I have found KL71s tend to wear about twice as fast as BFG Muds. I am presently on my 3rd set of BFG Muds and managed to get 100k miles out of each of the last sets (the original pattern). Now on the KM2 type and they look as though they should do about the same.

For me there is no other tyre!

i have just got general grabbers AT2 cost £450 including tracking and balacing at micheldever tyres cheapest i could get them for. see you are in Kent HI Q are part of there group if you have one nearby. friend has them on his disco and done 40k plus and still got life in them hence went with them BF,s were £200 more could not warrant paying that. see how the grabbers get on