Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

Question,

Will Pohutakawa tolerate cold?

I have fond memories shooting possums out of them as well as their lovely show of flowers.

Ty

I think they will but not thrive. Im in NZ at the moment and have seen them on the wet west coast of the south island and possibly on the otago penisula , right at the bottom where they get frost and snow, but they are more compact, later flowering and not as prolific with their flowering.

Try them in france Ty. I think Chilterns seeds do them. I will have a look for retail packets if you want.

Rata is tougher but similar. The picture is a flowering pohutakawa at Pahia on the sea front Bay of islands.

597667b50b437_Paiha.jpg.48919ef8b48512544a7a0585eafb7b2f.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any care to explain this adventitious rooting on a woodland boundary lime tree? I think there has been a slight lowering of soil on the left side of the pics, but only a few inches, if anything. I might expect to see this if a tree shelter with leaf litter in it is left on too long, but I really don't think this self sown tree with its branches growing through a mesh fence has ever seen one!

Odd...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

1394829476671.jpg.68c304797ccd3675eae6ac6298d69269.jpg

1394829456089.jpg.d09a54477317d4c1421f07e95d6406da.jpg

Sorry for jumping in, but just wanted to say thanks for the link, it was a good read over breakfast. The article refers to work by D. Lonsdale. I don't recall him calling it anythiung specific. The term Braided seems very apt. However, until it is demonstrated that the extra wood in this braided form is there as a partial or entire self-optimising reaction to loads I would be hesitant to use the word Reaction too. After all, it may be a growth abnormality. So, Braided Wood seems a good term.

The problem I have always had in trying to understand it is that where vessels cross, something has to give. The way that trees cope with this at side limb unions or even at the inside of forks is as far as I know not well understood. Braiding presents a fascinating theoretical and actual dilemma for the tree to manage the crossing of vessels and the additional of annual incrementsi. My hunch is that if it has any self-optimising outcome it is the avoidance of unnecessary bulk in the interbraid areas rathe than additional strength in the braids.

Someday I would love to have a braided tree that has already been marked for removal and inject the braids at the base with dyes then dissect it.

no need to doubt it it tallies with matthecks work, and when you use the tensile triangle/force cone/shear squares thinking is self explanatory hence conclusions drawn by Cassian and others

Any care to explain this adventitious rooting on a woodland boundary lime tree? I think there has been a slight lowering of soil on the left side of the pics, but only a few inches, if anything. I might expect to see this if a tree shelter with leaf litter in it is left on too long, but I really don't think this self sown tree with its branches growing through a mesh fence has ever seen one!

Odd...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Leftfield theory... a small epicormic was bent into ground contact by a fallen (now gone) branch and has rooted, establishing a strong downward union. This is about the only thing I can think of to explain the nature of the bark above the 'root'.