Grief for not using wire core.

Brett

When I first started 16years ago, my first boss the legend that is Trevor Witt made me climb all the time with a wire core line. I now only use them on very large diameter stuff when I have a large saw up the tree. (I know this wont offer any cut resistance against a 660 is full revs but it just feels safer for me.

I find them very useful if climbing a heavily ivy covered tree because as someone has already pointed out they are great for "flipping" over the growth.

But has to be said 99% of the time it's rope for me and all the arbs I know.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use mine a lot since I near cut through my strop due to a kick back whilst logging down a conifer .. If I'd of fell I would of been kebabed on to of a fence post ...never logged down again without it !

You are making a huge mistake if you think you can't cut through a wire core, you should have a second tie in just in case.

Yep the wire core isn't infallible but neither are boots, trousers, visors on helmets give em a big enough saw or a good wallop they will cut that said and done I can assure you that a wire core strop is more of a crunch for a saw than a couple of ropes!

Unlikely if you leave pegs every few feet.

I never leave pegs. 1 I don't need the mental help from having a peg in the first place. 2. If I do slip I dont want a peg in the ribs etc and 3. They hang stuff up when rigging.:001_rolleyes:

You wouldnt need pegs to make you feel safe if you choked you mainline.:thumbup1:

Surely if an employer supplies the kit, supplies the training to use that kit and a climber goes out on site and refuses to use that kit, then it is the employers (or his foreman/manager) place to point out the method he wishes you to use. It's him paying the insurance, and the employees.

Each member of crew has a position of responsiblity for every other person on site, (H&S at Work act), and therefore would quite within reason to point out that maybe using a certain piece of kit would be advisable.

In the past, I have seen a short strop cut through with a handsaw, that would not have happened with a wire strop.

Re: pegs, I have seen the result of a climber leaving serious pegs on a take down. It took three operations for him to be able to move his arms above waist height again, only took one slip once in about 15yrs of tree work. No one is ever too good to get hurt.