Tinnitus

Billy R

Tinnitus can be a number of differing sounds. Some like yourself get a ringing sound, some a high pitch whistle, some a droning sound; an old family friend who'd been a Lancaster tail gunner in his teens, said he always had a loud rushing sound with a background drone. Whatever the sensation, there's only one thing that's sure. You'll have it for the rest of your life. If you're lucky it won't get worse but it'll still make distinguishing other sounds that much harder.

The best you can do if you have it, is protect your ears from further damage. It could so easily get worse but it doesn't have to.

Best you can do if you haven't got it, is protect your ears. You only have one pair and they have to last you a lifetime. People with diminishing auditory sensing, may in certain cases be helped with a hearing aid. But this will not help someone with tinnitus overcome the condition.

Edited by TGB

Tinnitus can be a number of differing sounds. Some like yourself get a ringing sound, some a high pitch whistle, some a droning sound; an old family friend who'd been a Lancaster tail gunner in his teens, said he always had a loud rushing sound with a background drone. Whatever the sensation, there's only one thing that's sure. You'll have it for the rest of your life. If you're lucky it won't get worse but it'll still make distinguishing other sounds that much harder.

I agree, mine is a high pitched whistle (around 8kHz I think).

It becomes more annoyingly noticeable when stressed and when anyone mentions tinnitus.

My tinnitus is a pulsing drone in my left, similar to a hartbeat through a stethoscope, but that was caused by lots of inner ear damage from menangites in my early teens. It can be very irritating when trying to get to sleep in a silent house but not to much of a problem most of the time, its like a lot of irritating things you just learn to live with it.

I get tinnitus when it's silent in the house. I can hear a very low throbbing like a huge Diesel engine on tickover. I used to live near the docks in Southampton so used to blame it on the big ships warming up at night. But now I live many miles from the coast and the annoying ship has followed me here. It's annoying because when you hear it, it takes a lot of convincing to ignore it.

I've shot all of my life and worked with pyrotechnics as well as doing metal fabrication and finally tree work so have always been in noisy environments. I don't think I've been that bad at protecting my ears but all of those odd lazy moments have added up over the years. I spose it's silly that both my hobby and my job are bloomin noisy.

Look after your ears so that when your old and wrinkly you can pretend to be deaf and wind people up.

Sent using my pudgy fingers on my phone.

I have had tinnitus for years, it comes and goes. But not as bad as it was in my thirties, had trouble getting to sleep back then, I am 45 now. I tend to block it out now and try not to listen to it. Also get ear infections and have to get my ears cleaned out, had tiny bit of wood dust in them last time I had them done. I can hear ok but my wife thinks I am deaf, selective hearing!!!! It is an occupational Hazard, the work not the wife. Wearing ear protection in hot weather is a perfect breeding ground for bugs keep your ear protection clean. Always wear your ear protection.