What SHOULD it mean?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for Single Line Work Positioning SLWP,

Seriously though abbreviations just confuse the hell out of people and is a situation that's hard to avoid.

That actually would make some sense, its defining SRT for WP as apposed to SRT for access, which is in fact were the term SRT really comes from. In caving you descend a single line and return back up that single line "SRT".

So, in my case, I often use SRT then switch to DdRT, but I never use SLWP.

Thats quite a good description!

By the way, when using SRT I prefer SRTc over SRTb. (I dont like basal tie offs!)

Agreed, but SRT is not a tree climbing term, it's from caving and ind access. ...I don't see where any confusion lies?

The confusion is from just what you stated. SRT is just one more thing that has been brought over from other rope access industries and used an almost correct way. Like you said, Rupe, when other rope workers say SRT they actually mean one rope as opposed to two. Not so with us and the only reason that most of you that are reading this are not confused by this difference is that someone in the past has gone through a lengthy explanation on just what "WE" mean when we say SRT. Believe me it is still confusing to newbies and non tree workers that make rules and regulations based on what they think we are saying. It requires lots of explaining that just gets harder when trying to put it into writing.

Why not just say what we mean when using it in our industry?

Why has srt been introduced into our line of work? For years and years the industry used the three knot system. In affect a Ddrt system. Personally j think unless your going up a hell of a long way there's no need for it. It's just more shiny things to have in the wagon and more hassle.

Now I'm not sure if this is right but my understanding is that once you've used srt to access the tree you SRT guys have to change to a working system? Or is that complete tosh? If not, then it's seems pretty silly and a waste of time and money.

The confusion is from just what you stated. SRT is just one more thing that has been brought over from other rope access industries and used an almost correct way. Like you said, Rupe, when other rope workers say SRT they actually mean one rope as opposed to two. Not so with us and the only reason that most of you that are reading this are not confused by this difference is that someone in the past has gone through a lengthy explanation on just what "WE" mean when we say SRT. Believe me it is still confusing to newbies and non tree workers that make rules and regulations based on what they think we are saying. It requires lots of explaining that just gets harder when trying to put it into writing.

Why not just say what we mean when using it in our industry?

When do we mean two ropes when we say SRT?? Maybe I am confused!

Im starting to agree though, SLWP makes a lot of sense, and SRT can be left as an access method only. but SRT does mean one rope doesnt it?

DdRT means one rope, and DRT means one or two ropes but in two fixed lengths, and again this is for access only.

Now I'm not sure if this is right but my understanding is that once you've used srt to access the tree you SRT guys have to change to a working system? Or is that complete tosh? If not, then it's seems pretty silly and a waste of time and money.

You obviously havent been following arbtalk very closely :biggrin:

Why has srt been introduced into our line of work? For years and years the industry used the three knot system. In affect a Ddrt system. Personally j think unless your going up a hell of a long way there's no need for it. It's just more shiny things to have in the wagon and more hassle.

Maybe this is a good example of the confusion.

Not all workers have to change to a working system after access, thats the point of SRT its single line for the whole job, and hence why some changes are being suggested.