What SHOULD it mean?

When do we mean two ropes when we say SRT?? Maybe I am confused! ...

It is no wonder you're confused, it is confusing. In other rope access industries, they use SRT to designate the use of a single rope rather than two ropes, which they do at times.

In our industry, both SRT and DdRT utilize one rope. It is becoming apparent that people not in the know do not understand that we use only one rope in both systems. There is a leap in their logic that DdRT is safer due to it using two ropes, which is obviously not the case.

Hopefully, this is clearer than mud?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrrrrrrgh! Not again! I don't care what you call it, to me its SRT, wether you access or work it its all the same! In England there are a lot of dialects and different terms for the same thing. I'm all for things that make my life easier so why not keep it simple?

I doubt there's any widespread confusion about the difference. There's just a lot of people who don't care... It's just not that relevant to the majority. I guess you can try and force a change but fighting apathy is like punching smoke.

I don't think there is confusion about the difference. The confusion is in what it all means.

It's only relevant to people who are interested. Those who only want to slag off the technique should resist the urge and stick to a thread that is relevant to what they do.

No one is trying to fight a change. We are discussing a way of streamlining the terminology so that it is more easily understood by all and doesn't seem scary to some people.

It is no wonder you're confused, it is confusing. In other rope access industries, they use SRT to designate the use of a single rope rather than two ropes, which they do at times.

In our industry, both SRT and DdRT utilize one rope. It is becoming apparent that people not in the know do not understand that we use only one rope in both systems. There is a leap in their logic that DdRT is safer due to it using two ropes, which is obviously not the case.

Hopefully, this is clearer than mud?

That's basically the crux of the matter.

When the Rope Wrench arrived there was a boom of people who were captivated by the innovation and were exited at the prospect of trying something new. Those people had the natural thirst for this kind of thing and took the time to research it and develop new ideas.

The other group of people didn't have the same reaction and felt content with what they already knew. (There is nothing wrong with that).

Somewhere around the boundary of the two groups, there are people who are curious but lack the desire to really gut stuck in. This could be because it would take two weeks to read the threads that contain the information and there isn't a small picture book showing the steps one should take to convert to a SRWP type of system. :confused1:

Two very clear facts about SRWP:

1. Some people think it is more dangerous because we are only climbing on one rope.

2. It is only the domain of the wealthy gear junkie.

Both statements are factually incorrect but it is easy to see how some people arrive at this conclusion.

A system of more self explanatory abbreviations and names would be a good starting point. This is a period of large and fast development for a climbing system in the Arb industry so it's bound to take a while to smooth out.

Who remembers the early months of the "RopeWrench Feedback Thread" ? If you didn't check in every 4 hours you got left behind!:001_rolleyes::laugh1:

I'm surprised that anyone thinks DdRT is two ropes? If that's the case then the confusion is there before SRT Gets discussed. If non climbers are the ones getting confused then that's understandable and ideally they should not really be learning everything from arbtalk. But DdRT does spread the load over the two legs of rope so there is some truth in it being safer, certainly it's better for your ropes. Of course force at the TIP is the same so overall it's not safer.

No one is trying to fight a change. We are discussing a way of streamlining the terminology so that it is more easily understood by all and doesn't seem scary to some people.

I'm typing this on a virtual qwerty keyboard. There are many more efficient and streamlined keyboard layouts but this one's been around since typewriters. Historical conventions are often immutable. Also acronyms and abbreviations frequently supercede and overpower their component terms. Do you say PIN number despite knowing what the 'N' means? I do - it's convention and convention enables better communication.

I'm typing this on a virtual qwerty keyboard. There are many more efficient and streamlined keyboard layouts but this one's been around since typewriters. Historical conventions are often immutable. Also acronyms and abbreviations frequently supercede and overpower their component terms. Do you say PIN number despite knowing what the 'N' means? I do - it's convention and convention enables better communication.

:thumbup1:

Spot on Tony, language evolves, its not created.

The words, terms or acronyms that suit people best will be the ones that last, sure some will mean different things to different groups, but generally those group share enough common language to soon iron out any differences.

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Good. As I said previously, this a recently introduced and rapidly evolving area in Arb work. Evolution takes time and effort but it appears that the initial flurry has lead to a small amount of confusion and there still exists a small lack of understanding.

Streamlining is a by-product of evolution and we may be at that stage now. Is this why the thread was started on Treebuzz?

I think the use of Single in SRT can sound scary to some people, therefore using Static instead can imply that the rope does not move and the climber does.

Static ropes are preferred over dynamic but not essential so I don't think it's a concern in that area. I could be wrong though.

If we use the word Stationary, does this imply that the rope stays where it is set and we then transfer to another system for working?

Just throwing some thoughts around. Need to read the Treebuzz thread again.

Arrrrrrrgh! Not again! I don't care what you call it, to me its SRT, wether you access or work it its all the same! In England there are a lot of dialects and different terms for the same thing. I'm all for things that make my life easier so why not keep it simple?

Ditto, agreed i dont care what its called, i use it to make my life easier. :thumbup1:

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Good. As I said previously, this a recently introduced and rapidly evolving area in Arb work. Evolution takes time and effort but it appears that the initial flurry has lead to a small amount of confusion and there still exists a small lack of understanding.

Streamlining is a by-product of evolution and we may be at that stage now. Is this why the thread was started on Treebuzz?

I think the use of Single in SRT can sound scary to some people, therefore using Static instead can imply that the rope does not move and the climber does.

Static ropes are preferred over dynamic but not essential so I don't think it's a concern in that area. I could be wrong though.

If we use the word Stationary, does this imply that the rope stays where it is set and we then transfer to another system for working?

Just throwing some thoughts around. Need to read the Treebuzz thread again.

We don't use dynamic lines in tree work that I am aware of all our lines are static and not designed to take a fall on.

Also I don't consider single line work positioning to be an evolution more of a sideways progression what is evolving is the tools that enable us to work off a single leg rathe than a rope doubled. Even doubled rope work has evolved considerably in my own career with pulley savers hitchclimber pulley ART products etc.

Work on a single length of line is now easy and practical if you choose to do so with the new tools available.