What SHOULD it mean?

I think you should all stop being lazy and just write in a sentence what you mean to stop all confusion at all!!

Ok I use it but maybe it's about time we all stopped.

I used to use a traditional method called doubled rope technique where the rope runs through a friction system attached to your harness through/over a pulley or a branch and back down to your harness again and attached via a karabiner!

I now work using a single rope technique enabling me to get in to a work position where the tie in point of my rope maybe a branch in the top of a tree or doubled over a crotch and back down the tree and tied of in a base anchor then your attached to the work end of the rope with a similar setup to that of doubled rope technique but with a couple of other components such as a rope wrench to ensure that work position is even possible.

In some country's it is compulsory to work of 2 separate doubled rope techniques so that your always anchored into more than one point at all times this becomes double rope technique.

Are we all clear?

Or is there still some confusion?

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App

Edited by Adam Bourne

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck it trying to get a sensible convention on this. I am going to be one of those annoying dippers-in and make a couple of comments. Please ignore them if they are stupid or naive.

As I see it the D and the S are unfortunate choices because of the confusion between Singe and Static and between Double and Dynamic and between Double and Doubled.

And what if there are 3 ropes, do we need a term for Multiple Rope Techniques? Or do we call that Plural, meaning anything other than single? During such a technique it is possible that one line will be fixed and one or more moving.

Also it seems that Line is always going to be a better choice than Rope. I suppose L could be confused with Lanyard but if using a term to describe work positioning, that is immaterial. L is better than R if it gets rid of the confusion with Self Rescue Technique.

Then there is the difficulty of finding a term that covers climbing, work positioning, fall-arrest, rescue, ascent and descent. Or is one even needed, since SRT currently doesn't have one and just means 'technique' whatever activity it is applied to.

And something seems needed for whether the the rope is fixed or moving.

I think the simplest is to abandon S and D completely. Call one the FLT (Fixed Line/Lanyard Technique) and the other the MLT (Moving Line/Lanyard Technique). Switching to a PLT (Plural Line/Lanyard Technique) once you're in the tree and using several ropes, slings, flip lines, redirects etc.

The T for technique is superfluous but harmless and better than WP for Work Positioning or C for Climbing.

There's my suggestion, FLT, MLT and PLT.

FLT can be further refined as BFLT for Base Fixed and TFLT for Top Fixed. This seems to cover all the ambiguities, confusions and inadequacies. You either have to decide what the existig terms SRT and so forth mean and get everyone to buy into it, or you have to start again. I would start again becasuse the former is doomed to failure because the terms are inherently badly chosen in the first place.

I think you should all stop being lazy and just write in a sentence what you mean to stop all confusion at all!!

Ok I use it but maybe it's about time we all stopped.

I used to use a traditional method called doubled rope technique where the rope runs through a friction system attached to your harness through/over a pulley or a branch and back down to your harness again and attached via a karabiner!

I now work using a single rope technique enabling me to get in to a work position where the tie in point of my rope maybe a branch in the top of a tree or doubled over a crotch and back down the tree and tied of in a base anchor then your attached to the work end of the rope with a similar setup to that of doubled rope technique but with a couple of other components such as a rope wrench to ensure that work position is even possible.

In some country's it is compulsory to work of 2 separate doubled rope techniques so that your always anchored into more than one point at all times this becomes double rope technique.

Are we all clear?

Or is there still some confusion?

;)

Basically Adam im only interested in creating 3 new rope techs,

1) PRT - Pinkie Rope Technique

2) DCUSRTSIDHT - Dan Curtis Single Rope Technique So I Don't Have To

3) ICT - I Climb Trees

Any way Joe Rileys here to pick up his uni in a bit so ive made the bed :lol::lol:

I juast read the Tree BUzz thread that is discussing all the things that are being discussed here. And I get the overall feeling that no-one is going to decidse anything or do anything about it. Which is a great pity, all these pages and pages and days and weeks of debate wouldn't be happening if the existign terms were adequate and devoid of ambuguity.

One refinement on my suggestions that has occurred to me form Treebuzz is to use Positioning instead of Technique.

Thus, FLP, MLP and PLP. And the subdivisions BFLP and TFLP.

I juast read the Tree BUzz thread that is discussing all the things that are being discussed here. And I get the overall feeling that no-one is going to decidse anything or do anything about it. Which is a great pity, all these pages and pages and days and weeks of debate wouldn't be happening if the existign terms were adequate and devoid of ambuguity.

One refinement on my suggestions that has occurred to me form Treebuzz is to use Positioning instead of Technique.

Thus, FLP, MLP and PLP. And the subdivisions BFLP and TFLP.

At least it is now being discussed, nothing may change yet, the seeds are being sown. A far cry from a long time back when the whole concept of ascend or working off a single line was just completely dismissed as a waste of time it was like banging your head against a wall.

Now though it can feel like its being thrust down my throat by the new comers on the scene which in some respect can harm the progress.

I like Ian's new non chalant approach you either get it or don't.

We don't use dynamic lines in tree work that I am aware of all our lines are static and not designed to take a fall on.

Also I don't consider single line work positioning to be an evolution more of a sideways progression what is evolving is the tools that enable us to work off a single leg rathe than a rope doubled. Even doubled rope work has evolved considerably in my own career with pulley savers hitchclimber pulley ART products etc.

Work on a single length of line is now easy and practical if you choose to do so with the new tools available.

Sorry, I didn't mean it's an evolution for the Arb industry. I mean that working from a single line that is anchored at the tree top (or tree base) is currently seeing an evolution of gear design and technology and climbing technique, in it's own little bubble.

Gosh, I hope I got all that phrased correctly without a single mistake otherwise it's just fuel for yet another fire!:thumbdown::001_tt2:

Anyway, I reckon FLT - Fixed Line Technique. That seems to me to be the most self explanatory.

Basically Adam im only interested in creating 3 new rope techs,

1) PRT - Pinkie Rope Technique

2) DCUSRTSIDHT - Dan Curtis Single Rope Technique So I Don't Have To

3) ICT - I Climb Trees

Any way Joe Rileys here to pick up his uni in a bit so ive made the bed :lol::lol:

Haaaa! You get worst mate ;)

BRB I've got a BLT waiting for me! The HH arrived today so got excited and PMP. IME abbreviations don't work because someone guaranteed is going to ask what it means! Anyway IGON but will KAEOTT ;)

Haaaa! You get worst mate ;)

BRB I've got a BLT waiting for me! The HH arrived today so got excited and PMP. IME abbreviations don't work because someone guaranteed is going to ask what it means! Anyway IGON but will KAEOTT ;)

haha YSAC :biggrin: