What SHOULD it mean?

I just read a thread on The Treehouse about abbreviations and yesterday at work I discussed the meaning of climbing on a single line verses a doubled line. My 'opponent' countered that he's still safer and weights are reduced if on DdRT.

So, should the S in SRT mean Single or Static??

Anyway, there appears to be some hesitation from many people about the use of this system because it sounds less safe.

Would the use of the word static help others feel more comfortable about trying it?

Does the title Static Rope Technique sound more self explanatory?

The answers are a yes from me (& the Americans) so I just wondered what the consensus here might be.

:001_smile:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, you could call it what you want the only thing I'm looking for in a climbing set up is efficiently that suits my climbing style and the task ahead .. If i felt Static ropes offered this for the majority of tree work aplications I would be happy to use it more if it worked for me but its not so.

I have tried but twigs sticking in acenders and generally what feels like a lot more effort I'm not interested unless I need to pull my self up on a rope walker type system out of a long nothing type ascent then I can't fault it.

When you say "static" do you mean as in "not moving"?

I think theres would be some confusion as static usually refers to the amount of stretch in a rope (none) so a static rope or dynamic rope could be used in either SRT or Ddrt.

The term SRT has been around for so long, way before any arbs used it, so I dont think its changeable. As for the double loading, maybe there should be something to donate SRT with basal tie off, as apposed to SRT choked round a limb? As one produces double load at TIP the other doesnt so they are quite different. SRTb and SRTc maybe?

The small d, in DdRT is vital in denoting the difference from DRT which is a totally different thing, so some extra denotion on SRT would make sense, but SRT itself is very explanatory.

Thanks for starting this thread, Al. I will be interested on how everyone here feels about this.

...The term SRT has been around for so long, way before any arbs used it, so I dont think its changeable. ...but SRT itself is very explanatory.

I can't even begin to count the number of things that were common terms when I first started climbing that have changed or no longer exist. Life is change.

With the increase in SRT-WP use, there has also been increased training and exposure. It has become clear that the use of the word "single" is not working as it does not really convey what is so different about the two systems. After all DdRT also uses just one rope.

The really big difference between the two is that in DdRT the rope moves with you as you work the tree. One end is anchored to you. Trying to manage the friction that this movement creates is what has led to development of pulley type anchors and redirects.

In SRT one end is anchored to a non moving object. Whether ascending, descending or work positioning, you are moving along the rope but the rope remains stationary. This is the major fundamental difference between the two systems. This needs to be made clear right from the start.

The words, static and dynamic, do perfectly describe the difference between these two systems but trying to use them would, I'm afraid, be too big of a leap and create further confusion due to their use as descriptive adjectives for rope types.

Thus it has been proposed that a word such as "stationary" be used to replace "single" when discussing the meaning of the S in SRT.

Dave

Are you guys the Judean People's Front? :D

Now that's funny!

While we're at it and this has nothing to do with climbing trees, though in drastic situations, it could include climbing a bank. In paddling terms, SRT stands for Self Rescue Technique. And no, I don't wish to get into a discussion on that.

Agreed, but SRT is not a tree climbing term, it's from caving and ind access. It suitable describe ms working on single line and the fact that the line is not moving (static) is obvious. And the word "static" should not be used to describe "not moving" as it already means low/zero stretch.

DdRT denotes "doubled" and so by definition we know the rope is moving and no other explanation is required. Its not relevant that DdRT can or is done on a single line because its described as doubled.

DRT is totally different again as its 2x SRT, ie it's two fixed lines. This can akso be achieved with a single line and again by definition neither if the lines are moving.

I don't see where any confusion lies?

I hate the expression 'if its not broke, don't fix it' as it's generally used by people who are quite happy being stuck in a rut and object to any sort of progression. However in this case I really dont see where the confusion lies. The current terminology seems fine to me. Why are people trying to confuse the matter?