Topping out - good / bad practice?

Sciadopitys

I read a thread last night which mention that using a lanyard / flip line on your side D's when taking the top out of a tree is bad practice, and that it is recommended that you choke your climbing line around the stem to protect you if the trunk splits. Can you guys give some more info on this and all throw in your opinions and techniques!

Many thanks Guys!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usind the center TIP of your harness as opposed to the side D's was always recomended to me on species likely to split/barberschair. Especially freegrained trees such as alder and willow.

On your avatar, it does appear that your low position in relation to the rigging block would make it very easy to be struck by the peice, as opposed to if you stepped up onto the stem nearer the block. Just an observation :)

i was told if the stuff hit the fan then if you are on your centre your hips would get it rather than your back if you were on the ds, i try and work on my centre as much as poss. just a lot comfier imo.

i would agree with pete with relation to your avatar, i know you were probably posing for the pic, but i would be higher up, if that gave a wobble and your strop slipped when on the dees it would be teeth off the stem. just my 2 cents, in no way criticising mate.

Many modern harnesses have extra attachment points for this purpose, giving the stability of side d's and the comfort and safety of the main d. Some other harnesses can be adapted for the same purpose. I was told not to choker with the lanyard but to attach both ends to your main d. I'm not sure the reason for this.:001_smile:

Many modern harnesses have extra attachment points for this purpose, giving the stability of side d's and the comfort and safety of the main d. Some other harnesses can be adapted for the same purpose. I was told not to choker with the lanyard but to attach both ends to your main d. I'm not sure the reason for this.:001_smile:

if i am going to go for a big bidoingy, i cross it over mate, then hang on. if those spikes come out you dont want to play:001_smile: firmans pole weeeeee!!!!!!

i'm sure that when i did my c/s 40 or was it 41 one of the 2, any way if i remember correctly they made us take 2 flip lines up and our climbingf rope, as a get out of jail quick card. can not quite remember how it worked but i will look it up as you have now got me thinking. :confused1:

And to top it off i have man flue:thumbdown::thumbdown:

I read a thread last night which mention that using a lanyard / flip line on your side D's when taking the top out of a tree is bad practice, and that it is recommended that you choke your climbing line around the stem to protect you if the trunk splits. Can you guys give some more info on this and all throw in your opinions and techniques!

Many thanks Guys!

Always move to your front D or front connection point when taking out a big top or large lateral branch that your tied into. When you are attached to the front D you have moved yourself outside the loop. If the top splits or the large lateral branch splits and your tied into your side Ds your internal organs will be crushed leaving you using a colostomy bag for the rest of your life and your back will more than likely be broken so add a wheelchair to that as well.

Someone has made the point about boring a heavily leaning stem and cutting the holding strap to take a top out as a safe method when climbing, this isn't the case.

If you make a bore cut on a heavily leaning stem there is a chance the back of the tree will split downwards before you have a chance to cut the holding strap. When the stem splits downwards the top will go over and split part of the top will flip you and your flipline/climbing line off with the stem as well sending you hurtling toward the ground as your life flashes before your eyes.

Be very careful when using the boring cut on a leaning stem when climbing - it can go hellishly wrong.

Edited by scotspine1