Wierd and Wonderful Wood

agg221

Went today, caught up with a lot of old friends as usual. Larger number of stands this year, an extra twenty or so I'm led to believe. Big queues for foods and drinks. But I like this show, I like its quirkiness, I also like the fact that it has a huge draw across the spectrum of people in this country, something many shows don't have. Each year it seems to surpass the last. Some quality products there, again catering to all tastes. And for those of you taking the kids, there is activities for them too.

Have to be honest Andy, I went the wife today and we were a little disappointed. If there were an extra 20 stands, we couldn't find them and both said we thought there were 1 or 2 less than last year. The outstanding item on show (in our opinion) was just inside the barn on the left as you go in, a "picture"/ carving in oak of a foetus inside the womb. Damned expensive (£250) but incredible. If I had £250 floating about I would go and get it without hesitation. Kids are incredibly well catered for and the food stands providing top quality nosh. It was great to see the car park full though and although it was busy, it wasn't too manic.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't count the stands, but I certainly had an impression of more active stands - the blacksmith was new, the chainsaw carving was back (wasn't there last year) and there were two people doing wattle fencing - one cleft, plus the usual turning, bow making/fletching, pole lathe etc. It was good to catch up with a few people and the food was excellent - particularly enjoyed my salt brisket burger.

Having small children, I really like the fact that the activities are all free within the entrance fee. There's nothing worse than them wanting to try something, paying, and then they decide they don't want to do it about 30 seconds later! It kept them entertained for about 6hrs, which is pretty good going.

Will try to catch up with more people next time.

Alec

I thought it was a better turnout yesterday than previous years, it didn't clash with the FA Cup Final this time, I see to recall it did in past years. It's never going to please everyone all the time, personally I preferred it in the woodland setting years back, it was more Weird and Wonderful back then. But it's moved wit the times, expanded, and became a prime event. And there was some very high quality products on display, showcasing some of the best of wood related skills.

I went today. Good day out. Much bigger than I was expecting.

This chap, Stuart, was giving very interesting and down to earth bodging demos. Split, hew, shave, turn. Nice guy and had plenty of time to talk and expertise to share.

124286d1368978550-wierd-wonderful-wood-2013-img_2379.jpg

He was even kind enough to let me have a blast on one of his lathes. I made a thing and plenty of sycamore shavings.

PICT3481.jpg

I went today. Good day out. Much bigger than I was expecting.

This chap, Stuart, was giving very interesting and down to earth bodging demos. Split, hew, shave, turn. Nice guy and had plenty of time to talk and expertise to share.

124286d1368978550-wierd-wonderful-wood-2013-img_2379.jpg

He was even kind enough to let me have a blast on one of his lathes. I made a thing and plenty of sycamore shavings.

PICT3481.jpg

Nice 'thing'

It's amazing how those sycamore shavings fly