Defender starts won't tick over

adamkaye123

Yeah hence the reason I'm not going to pay the full price and definatley going look over it with a fine tooth comb, just to let everyone understand I can't afford one that's perfect that's why I was after a cheaper project as I don't mind waiting until its running! Lol

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App for iPhone

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 1985 and 1200 Id be happy to do the work myself as I'm in no rush it is good condition apart from the fuel delivery problem

Bulkhead (footwells, corners below windscreen), chassis - especially the rear, steering wobble (see any LR forum) how well was the conversion done?

Fuel filter mount, radiator mounts, pipe extensions, exhaust downpipe.

These will give clues to the way its been looked after and quality of conversion.

loads more to think about - maybe check on a LR forum.:thumbup:

It's 1985 and 1200 Id be happy to do the work myself as I'm in no rush it is good condition apart from the fuel delivery problem

On that year it was probably born as a 2.5 turbo which is a nasty wheezy as attic thing and a long way short of a TDi

So he is trying to flog you a 2.5 turbo NON RUNNER with a rusty chassis, I haven't seen it but I will bet my next meal the chassis will need some work.

If its had a galv chassis at some point, as well as me loosing my supper, it may be worth buying it and fitting a TDi but if the chassis is a basket case it's a complete re build.

Either way you don't want to be parting with that kind of money. If its just a fuel issue it want to be about £800 as a non runner, if the chassis is goosed half a grand would be about right. Others will tell you that it's worth more but there is no cure for landroveritis or masochism.

I'm with tree quip on this one.

Guaranteed the chassis will ned work if it hasn't been replaced for that age. The footwell, wheel arches, sills, and floor pan. Also look at the fuel tank these can go porous an leak.

The body mounts can also go.

The engine starting on ether is vey bad idea. Easy start is the devils juice in my book. Can do a lot more harm than good.

I wold first look into a fuel supply issue. As in not not getting any at all. So a blockage elsewhere.

Cold also be low comp. and the ether is giving it enough to burn as its highly flammable and diesel oil isn't. A tester would eliminate this straight away.

Diesels only need two thing to run. Diesel and compression so if it won't start its one of those things.

If you can get it really cheap if its goosed then I would replace the engine if the body of it is in good nick. Engines are cheap enough. (Well cheaper than a new landy anyway)

If the oil filler cap is a yellow plastic one its a 200 or 300 tdi (if aux belt has about 6 or 7 ribs along its length its a 300). If the filler cap looks like an old piece of dented tin it'll be a 19j engine.

If its a 19j just walk away from it.

If its 1985 its was a naturally asphixiated diesel so, sound like someone has changed the engine. You should be able to get a 200 or 300tdi disco quite cheaply just swap the engines, as mate to same gearbox. Original 200tdi Defender would of had the turbo at same height as top of heater, if its a disco lump turbo is low down, so be careful wading, if that's your thing.

Dakar on Birch wood road are probably your nearest for spares.

Get glow plugs replaced first though.

Peter.