Am I running a business from home?

Horatio

A few years ago a neighbour complained to the council about my old fordson on my front lawn for a few weeks while I fixt something on it, council man came, looks, buggered off and called me a few days later as got number off the side of my landy to chat about classic tractors and how he wished his wife would let him have 1, managed to fined out who had complained so bided my time and when it snowed heavy and I had a mog with plough on at home I cleared the whole street onto there drive accidentally :P

Everyone ells on the street thought I was a hero for clearing our private rd and nothing was ever said. Doing little favours for the good and elderly on your street go's a long way towards making it harder for outhers to mone about you.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the planning rules, seems you'd pass the key tests to determine you'd not need planning permission IMO see

Planning Portal - Working from home

I'd write a letter back...

Dear Cupid Stunt, thank you for your letter dated whenever. It seems you have been misinformed regarding the nature of my business, and the authority you think you hold over me in a democracy.

I am tree surgeon, my business is tree surgery, my business activity is carried out on customer premises only, where would you suggest I move my business to?

Until this country becomes a dictatorship, and some idiot puts you in charge of it, you hold no sway over me, I therefore don;t have to comply with your irrelevant requests. Please desist from writing your wishes regarding my business to me in future, I have a life, and I don't want to waste it answering trivial letters from you.

I suggest you move to China and contribute large sums to the party in charge, this may allow you the power you clearly desire.:001_tt2:

Disclaimer: this is not to be considered legal advice, just the ramblings of a raving lunatic :D

Brilliant :-)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

A few years ago a neighbour complained to the council about my old fordson on my front lawn for a few weeks while I fixt something on it, council man came, looks, buggered off and called me a few days later as got number off the side of my landy to chat about classic tractors and how he wished his wife would let him have 1, managed to fined out who had complained so bided my time and when it snowed heavy and I had a mog with plough on at home I cleared the whole street onto there drive accidentally :P

Everyone ells on the street thought I was a hero for clearing our private rd and nothing was ever said. Doing little favours for the good and elderly on your street go's a long way towards making it harder for outhers to mone about you.

And if you'd cleared his drive too, you would have been the bigger man and possibly made him feel very small indeed, as it is you have simply reenforced his opinion of you, he is no doubt waiting for some opportunity to get even.

I can see how warming up a van for 10 mins in a small housing estate at 4.30am would wind someone up.

If you cut that out it might help.

I have that was 2 years ago. Not even every day! Once or twice a week and then only when it was minus whatever

How much noise does a van idling actually make? Unless you're sleeping with the windows open (in the middle of winter :confused1:) I can't see that it would disturb anyone.

If it's doors slamming and kit being thrown in the back with associated loud clunks and bangs then fair enough he's got a point, but just a van idling - the guy must have bat like hearing.

My neighbour warms up his land cruiser on his driveway. Most times it's ok but at 4 in the morning before he goes hunting and it can start to get on your nerves after a while.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

And if you'd cleared his drive too, you would have been the bigger man and possibly made him feel very small indeed, as it is you have simply reenforced his opinion of you, he is no doubt waiting for some opportunity to get even.

Na they left as they wer in the only house still council owned on the street and not keeping to the tenancy agreement and everyone ells started complaning about the gazillion cats they had and apparent ly nearly everyone had had some form of run in with him, some people as previously said just need to get a life and let outhers get on with there's!

Take a look at your house deeds if you do not have them ask the bank building society for a copy. this tells you what business your can run. Mine states I can not sell ale.

House built around the 30's

No house can sell ale without a licence, so I don't think it's any thing to do with deed's, it's a planing matter .

Take a look at your house deeds if you do not have them ask the bank building society for a copy. this tells you what business your can run. Mine states I can not sell ale.

House built around the 30's

You can download the deeds from the land registry for a couple of quid ( provided the property is registered)

I couldn't agree more.

Horatio

You have to decide what outcome you would like to see from all this?

Would you be happy if Cupid continued to be a stunt for the rest of your/his occupancy? Clearly he has some sensitive issues, so nothing to be gained from making him any worse, the diesel engine idling for ten minutes at 04.30 would have had me out of bed and down onto the drive wanting to dish out some hidings, where as others would just seethe under the duvet hating you, afterwards, everything you do just adds weight to the camels back.

Experience dictates that the longer you leave this situation unatended the less chance of a favouable outcome, talk to him, tell him that you realise how unwelcome clattering diesels are at 04.30 and you have now done the sensible thing and bought a scraper and are going to man-up to a cold cab.

General maintenance to your equipment and running them up afterwards will continue, but explain how necessasary this is and that you are perfectly within your right to do it

Personaly, I would refrain from cutting logs up on a shared driveway, transfer operations to the back garden or better still where you removed them, you have to offer some concessions to receive any.

As for seeking legal advice, why? What you are doing is no different to what thousands of others do throughout the UK, there is no law preventing you from keeping chainsaws, small amounts of petrol (in propper containers), strimmers etc safely locked in your garage and would it be unreasonable to maintain a motorcycle in your garage and run it up after? What would be the difference? Let cupid waste his money and keep yours in your pocket!

We all get things wrong so there is no harm in appologising when we realise our mistakes.