Chiropractor?

PeteB

I think a lot is down to personal preference.

When I got back from travelling I went to see a really good chiro and he got me straight. (It's amazing what it feels like to be really well aligned skeletally.) I've tried all sorts since and have now been with the osteo who looks after the Oxford Rowing Squad for about 11-12 years.

If it's a bad year and I do lots of stupid things in trees, on the water or with the kids I may have to get scrunched 4-5 times. Otherwise it's once or twice a year. A decent osteo will always give you a deep massage prior to manipulating.

Typically about £40 per session. Takes as long as it takes.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Osteopathy is the manipulation of the body by your own movement (eg streching, bending etc).

Not at the British School of Osteopathy it wasn't when I used to attend regularly. On the slab, students and tutors squeezing, twisting and crunching. I used to love my lower back being cracked but the chiro treats in a very different way - still on the slab though!:001_smile:

A few years ago I dead-lifted an engine, clean over a step into a shed. As I pushed it forward I felt a twang down my right leg and my lower back locked. Following day I couldn't bend at all. A couple of days later when it moved a bit (but really hurt) I went to the doctors and was told to take ibuprofen, pretty much like smarties. I don't like taking drugs at the best of times, and the idea of long-term use didn't thrill me.

After a couple of weeks I went to the local chiropractor, and she was brilliant. First consultation free to discuss things, then a spine x-ray and then a series of treatments, twice a week for a couple of weeks, then weekly for two weeks, then after a fortnight, then after a month. 8 sessions in all, the manipulations really worked - I could walk properly even after the first one, and some good advice on posture, sensible exercises (which I still do) and no recurrence. Certainly no intention of extracting the maximum cash, and the money was well spent in my case.

Alec

I was referred to one following a RTA and have used the advise ever since. My main success was after 7years of suffering with sciatica sometimes very severe episodes and constant pain my wife borrowed a expensive TENNS machine during her last pregnancy so I read that it offers back pin relief, I was suffering with my back and in extreme pain . So on with the machine and when on full blast the pain subsided.. Within a hour it had gone.. I used the machine for the next 2 days as required day 3 I had no pain... 3 years later still no major episodes like before!!! Even when I do feel it coming on it seems to clear up quickly .. Not sure why it gave long term success but can't do you any harm so would urge anyone to give it a go.. Also some good simple exercises I do that give long term relief to my sciatica... Good luck with your issues ...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Electro acupuncture and osteo. They run a current through acupuncture needles. Makes the muscle contract and then release over and over again and help to loosen the spasm before manipulation. Only think that worked for me after I'd tried physio and a chiro.sounds horrendous but it's actually quite nice but take barley sugars or something for after as your blood sugar levels take a hammering for some reason.

I used to use them all the time. They get you back on your feet and up and running the quickest.

But if it's a disc problem it is likely to come back after a while, and those whiles may get shorter.

As far as I can remember it's your muscle going into spasm that causes the pain, they should be able to get the muscle out of spasm and get you back to normal quickly.

Mine got so bad I ended up having a double spine fusion 6 years ago, and have never had to see anyone since.

I did go for my first bike ride today in 6 years and it's aching a bit, but that's probably down to not getting myself in the right position with all the metal in my back.

This how I look now.:thumbup:

[ATTACH]123104[/ATTACH]

Is that a zig zag in their

I'm desperate to see either chirp or osteo