A day in the life

RC0

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a gear intensive, handsaw bearing fancy-dan type climbing enthusiast

lol, ok grandpa :laugh1:

as for the handsaw bearing comment - leave my Sugoi on the ground? that's never gonna happen mate, no matter where I work. There was time when big urban trees were only ever brought down with handsaws.

Handsaws in use - not some namby pamby modded ms201 with a retro fitted sugi-hara (?!) bar :biggrin:

112253-Eucinthefifties.jpg.ed76ff7a85114b42a796c7b77e110399.jpg

112139-Twoguyscuttingaeuc.jpg.08506c9e249e976574a5453333ad7483.jpg

lol, ok grandpa :laugh1:

as for the handsaw bearing comment - leave my Sugoi on the ground? that's never gonna happen mate, no matter where I work. There was time when big urban trees were only ever brought down with handsaws.

Handsaws in use - not some namby pamby modded ms201 with a retro fitted sugi-hara (?!) bar :biggrin:

There's nothing wrong with handsaws. For small amounts of cutting and neat, accurate pruning, their good. I think you know what meant....just that type of person.

We had one on a job once, a second climber for the day, he'd been to a competition that weekend. Suitcase full of climbing gadgets, wrap-around shades, branded climbing clothing and all that. Soon as I set eyes on him and his gear i thought WTF.

Anyway, he was more intent on showing off his rapid descents from 20ft, and big swings etc. What was going through his mind i dont know.....why he thought a big swing would impress anyone is a mystery. He was a woeful climber and cutter. Plenty gear though, I'll give him that. looked cool also....at least he thought so.

There's nothing wrong with handsaws. For small amounts of cutting and neat, accurate pruning, their good. I think you know what i meant....just that type of person.

I did, was just messing around with my last post

We had one on a job once, a second climber for the day, he'd been to a competition that weekend. Suitcase full of climbing gadgets, wrap-around shades, branded climbing clothing and all that. Soon as I set eyes on him and his gear i thought WTF.

Anyway, he was more intent on showing off his rapid descents from 20ft, and big swings etc. What was going through his mind i dont know.....why he thought a big swing would impress anyone is a mystery. He was a woeful climber and cutter. Plenty gear though, I'll give him that. looked cool also....at least he thought so.

all the gear no idea

the best tool you have in treeclimbing is your brain, unfortunately a lot of people starting out disregard their brain in favour of gadgets and gear before they've learned to fully master the basic climbing system, be that the basic prussik system or hitch/pulley system.

this vid is a good example of someone who has obviously learned to climb first then added gadgets/equipment in a practical way to his system, he understands how they improve his climbing/work positioning because he's mastered climbing on a basic setup in the first place.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4AlDpIZraA]Hitch Climbers' Guide to the Canopy part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by scotspine1

I did, was just messing around with my last post

all the gear no idea

the best tool you have in treeclimbing is your brain, unfortunately a lot of people starting out disregard their brain in favour of gadgets and gear before they've learned to fully master the basic climbing system, be that the basic prussik system or hitch/pulley system.

this vid is a good example of someone who has obviously learned to climb first then added gadgets/equipment in a practical way to his system, he understands how they improve his climbing/work positioning because he's mastered climbing on a basic setup in the first place.

That video is great, im going to definetly use the prussik on the spliced eye end to create the hitch climber further away or close in that is genius!

The work its self. Well I can think of some who would probably do alright and some that would really struggle. If you're a gear intensive, handsaw bearing fancy-dan type climbing enthusiast, then you would probably fall into the latter category....if I'm being honest. Its often a more basic a brutal mindset that is effective.....matched with a good game plan, obviously.

Good to hear. :thumbup1:

I'll be moving there at the end of the month.

Not in BC but not even that far. Alberta.

Don't know if things are different there.

Can't wait. Nature must be awesome over there.

Cool video as usual, by the way.