Doctors and time off....

wisecobandit

Ah b+gger, just got back from the quacks and been confirmed I got a small hernia grrrr

Well I know need to go in as an inpatient to be told by them now "yeah its a hernia" then go back in again for a minor op to patch it up.

4 - 6 weeks off work he advised after the op. Being self employed I give it a maximum of 2 wks.... :001_rolleyes:

How much time off do these people think we can take and be able to afford it...

When it comes to your health, there's isn't a limit.

This is when insurance policies and savings come into play.

We can live on bread and water with no heating and walking rather than take the arid we have to, sometimes it comes to that.:blushing:

I know guys who have went back to work after 2 weeks from a hernia op, it went nasty and took them months to recover.:thumbdown:

Your working methods have got you into this situation, now you have time on your hands to think of new ways to make your life easier physically and have a clear out of all the stuff you can live without.

It's so easy now to sell stuff on EBay and the likes of Arbtrader.:thumbup1:

Invest in a big box of Tea bags and chill!

Best of luck:001_smile:

Take it from someone who knows, you can't afford to not listen to the advice. You should have personal injury and sickness insurances, to cover the inevitable failure of your health. If you rush back to work too soon, you will herniate again, not might. Wear support belts to lessen the stress on your hernia now, work smarter.

Oh sounds like it may take a bit of healing then ;-(

Never thought about insurance policys tbh as never really gone sick, the quack even commented as he hadn't seen me for nearly 4 years but just shows how these things can crop up out the blue.

1 of those things you knew what it was without having to be told but even im aware it wouldn't heal itself and would only get worse so for once in my life took the attitude to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Seems its more common than I thought it was, though the doc said it was surprisingly high just below the belt line, I thought it would've been low. Oh well best I back off all the light duty jobs at home and let them build up for after the op so im not bored senseless.

Mate, I never got ill in my working life, I paid into insurance for 16 year that I've been self employed. Around summer 2011 I was saving costs and closed some policies down, I kept personal sickness and personal accident cover. By the end of the year I was in deep doo-doo, lying in hospital in real trouble. I spent nine weeks in there, I'm still recovering from the ops and only able to work part time. I'm lucky on two counts.

1) I lived.

2) I had kept enough cover to pay the bills, took all the stress out of things when I was at my worst, I could concentrate on getting well again.

I'm not preaching for the sake of it, I would encourage anyone to protect their income in case the worst happens.

Mate, I never got ill in my working life, I paid into insurance for 16 year that I've been self employed. Around summer 2011 I was saving costs and closed some policies down, I kept personal sickness and personal accident cover. By the end of the year I was in deep doo-doo, lying in hospital in real trouble. I spent nine weeks in there, I'm still recovering from the ops and only able to work part time. I'm lucky on two counts.

1) I lived.

2) I had kept enough cover to pay the bills, took all the stress out of things when I was at my worst, I could concentrate on getting well again.

I'm not preaching for the sake of it, I would encourage anyone to protect their income in case the worst happens.

Andy, You Sir are spot on. One with out health has nothing at all. Take care of your self, and try not to be so hard on the doctors opinion, he may have saved your life in the process:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

Having had two hernias in two years i can honestly say taking the time to heal properly is best thing you can do. if you are carrying any excess weight before surgery try to loose it because it sure helps healing proccess and get out for walks soon after to try and stretch out muscles, even if just lil walks in morning and evening it sure helps break up day.

dont rush back to work - the second op hurts more due to pre existing scar tissue.