Why static rope not rock climbers rope?

cerneARB

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I'm getting shut, can't find any supertankers in Brighouse:001_tongue:

Does anyone use scortch

I do and when i brought a load of tachyon ive regretted not buying more I dont see the atraction for 11m ropes i own a couple and to be honest climbing on wet tachyon or any 11m line covered in green slime and is nightmare atleast with a 13 mm line you can still get some grip and dont have to wash the rope weekly!it might weigh less but thats not a benifit for self slack tending on a vt or lock jack either

"If the rope stretches, it acts as an energy absorber, thus easing the loading on both the load and the anchor point"

yes it does ease it , but not enough to justify its use. Having never personally tried using rock climbing rope for anything other than its intended purpose i can only comment using information put across by tutors at college from a few years ago.

No 13 mm ropes here, 11.5, 11, and 10 mm all the way.....

Also modern rock climbing ropes are mostly thinner than 11 mm, anything down to about 8 mm is normal.

My hands would fall off with cramp after 2 seconds using 10mm rope I wouldn't mind trying a 14mm or even 15mm, if you could get it, slick smooth.

I do and when i brought a load of tachyon ive regretted not buying more I dont see the atraction for 11m ropes i own a couple and to be honest climbing on wet tachyon or any 11m line covered in green slime and is nightmare atleast with a 13 mm line you can still get some grip and dont have to wash the rope weekly!it might weigh less but thats not a benifit for self slack tending on a vt or lock jack either

Thats what I've found Matty, it's ok with nice dry gloves but when your gloves are wet or the ropes wet it's not easy to keep a grip on and the lack of weight in the rope doesn't lend itself to self tending in the lockjack.

I think the last rope I had was xtc and it was lockjack friendly