Logs splitters

James slack

Looking with interest at this thread. I split by hand at the moment. Wood grenade and sledge and i have a manual two piece thing that is great on small logs.

We saw some of these flywheel ones that look brilliant ( not the madcap home made ones!) but not for sale in this country.

We are going to make a conical table like stubby's as they split anything.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking with interest at this thread. I split by hand at the moment. Wood grenade and sledge and i have a manual two piece thing that is great on small logs.

We saw some of these flywheel ones that look brilliant ( not the madcap home made ones!) but not for sale in this country.

We are going to make a conical table like stubby's as they split anything.

If you are going to make it like mine with its own engine you will need 25hp min and chain drive not belt .Its the torque that you need . My cone splitter is faster than my hydraulic one until you get a gnarly old bit of something which stalls it . Then you loose all the time you gained cutting it off the cone . Once you get up around 25-30hp there is enough torque to avoid this . If you run one off a tractor then never a problem .

If you are going to make it like mine with its own engine you will need 25hp min and chain drive not belt .Its the torque that you need . My cone splitter is faster than my hydraulic one until you get a gnarly old bit of something which stalls it . Then you loose all the time you gained cutting it off the cone . Once you get up around 25-30hp there is enough torque to avoid this . If you run one off a tractor then never a problem .

Thanks. We are looking at wood no bigger them 18" max. Cherry, birch, beech and ash. Been offered a diesel conical one for £250 on a table all set up. Guy bought it but it scares him as its pretty boisterous i think.

Done right there should never be a reason get hands near the cone when its operating.

As a farmer, all my life I have had it drummed into me that the pto shaft is dangerous, it will kill you, do not go near it.

I really struggle to understand how those hy-crack type splitters are even legal never mind how people think it's now OK to go and jam a bit of wood into what is just an extension of the pto.

Numerous threads on this site regarding H&S and numerous posts saying these cone splitters work well. :confused1:

I accept that many people have them and generally say they are quick to do the job. Well I guess that redneck massive flywheel with an axe head welded to it comes under the same category. I shan't be using either of them ever.

Hydraulic splitters done right shouldn't involve getting a hand in there but they do, so much so they even made a law saying both hands on the handle.

As a farmer, all my life I have had it drummed into me that the pto shaft is dangerous, it will kill you, do not go near it.

Here in Ireland there are adverts reminding you of how dangerous the PTO is and showing people who have lost there legs after there overalls get caught in the shaft without a cover on and there legs being ripped of.

So I'm with you!

Thanks. We are looking at wood no bigger them 18" max. Cherry, birch, beech and ash. Been offered a diesel conical one for £250 on a table all set up. Guy bought it but it scares him as its pretty boisterous i think.

Done right there should never be a reason get hands near the cone when its operating.

If its the one on fleabay the motor is not powerful enough , and its belt drive . My opinion of course but based on experience .

If its the one on fleabay the motor is not powerful enough , and its belt drive . My opinion of course but based on experience .

Thanks. Good to know.

We're not a pro outfit just need firewood for at home and trying to save my old dad struggling when i am away. He will insist on doing it. We have a little hydraulic splitter but in the time it gets through 1 log i have split several with my wood grenade. In all honesty welding a wood grenade on instead of a wedge would probably work better