How often do you lock your chain?

Stereo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a fine line between getting away with it and having serious accident. You might only get the one chance.

Just found this in my OSH fatalities list.

Employee fell on chainsaw; cut jugular.

An employee was using a chainsaw to trim a tree that he had cut down earlier. After cutting the first limb he walked toward the next limb and stepped into a hole. The saw sped up as his hand gripped the trigger and the chain started to move. The employee fell forward on to the bar severing his jugular vein. He died of massive blood loss.

Findings:

Put the chain brake on when moving.

Take your finger off the trigger.

Direct the saw behind you to the left with the saw against your hip.

Check your footing as you move.

Ensure all other workers are at least 3m away at all times.

Edited by Taupotreeman

i take every day as it comes the close call i have haven't changed my life or the way i do things to this day 90% of the time i not where saw trousers as i find them dangerous in there own right for me im only 27 inch leg and there 32 leg so way to long for me i am always tripping up in them so don't bother where them unless i have to

That's the thing,when you do stumble or tumble,and i dare say most of us in the tree game have gone down at one time or another,no matter how handy with a saw you think you are,for those 2 or 3 seconds you're not 100% in control of quite how or where you are going to end up.

Then the habit of trampling about with an unbraked running saw can turn to tragedy.

Edited by oldwoodcutter

Some funny posts on here, some as in weird funny.

Click click of a chainbrake annoying. Compared to a 120dB saw?

There is some shite on here.

'I've been doing it for years' doesn't mean you've been doing it right for years.

I'm no HSE Fascist, but chainbrakes are there for a reason fellas.

To be honest it's more common sense than anything, If im carving up a felled trunk in someone's perfectly flat back garden I tend to use it less compared to being on rough uneven ground surrounded by brash.

Now up the tree is a different story, if I'm not cutting the brake is on or the saw is off.

And if we're reducing statistics by putting brakes on more often I fail to see The problem with a few annoying clicks, its a dangerous enough occupation without taking un-nessesary risks