maggie thatcher

ging

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I quite like threads like this, you get a sense of what other users are really like, instead of stihl or husky preference, drt vs srt preference etc etc.

we are all either commie lefty scargill lovers or raging far right lunatics by the look of it:biggrin:

.............hmmm,hitler,stalin,pol pot,killed millions.....

thatcher removed a small bottle of warm milk(no fridge at the convent I went to)...

however,under the right to buy,mum bought our council house,later I was able to go

Merrist Wood and thence start a career in tree surgery...........personally I have no

axe to grind........(( your description of how coal is made seems tenuous,but then i

am no coalologist:))

..................................................................................................................

we are all either commie lefty scargill lovers or raging far right lunatics by the look of it:biggrin:

:lol::lol: and none of us are right either :lol:

It could equally apply to journalism though:001_smile: Saying that...I went out with a correspondent for Sky news who I know always got her facts right and never twisted anything.

What, not even if you were a very good boy...? :001_huh::001_tongue::laugh1:

theres lies,damn lies and theres journalism ( mark twain I think?)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

The term was popularised in the United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the 19th-century British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli (1804–1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." However, the phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death. Other coiners have therefore been proposed, and the phrase is often attributed to Twain himself.

[edit]History

Mark Twain popularized the saying in "Chapters from My Autobiography", published in the North American Review in 1906. "Figures often beguile me," he wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"[1]

Alternative attributions include, among many others (such as Walter Bagehot and Arthur James Balfour) the radical journalist and politician Henry Du Pré Labouchère (1831–1912), and Leonard H. Courtney, who used the phrase in 1895 and two years later became president of the Royal Statistical Society.[2] Courtney referred to a future statesman, not a past one.[3]

The earliest instance of the phrase found in print dates to a letter written June 8, 1891, published June 13, 1891, The National Observer p. 93(-94): NATIONAL PENSIONS [To the Editor of The National Observer] London, 8 June 1891 "Sir,--It has been wittily remarked that there are three kinds of falsehood: the first is a 'fib,' the second is a downright lie, and the third and most aggravated is statistics. It is on statistics and on the absence of statistics that the advocate of national pensions relies....." Later, in October 1891, as a query in Notes and Queries, the pseudonymous questioner, signing as "St Swithin", asked for the originator of the phrase, indicating common usage even at that date.[3] The pseudonym has been attributed to Eliza Gutch.[4] Courtesy of Wikipedia :laugh1:

I don't see many "Thatcher lover" :confused1:

I see a lot of haters and others who show a little respect.

Huck i hate no one, as for respect i have none for someone who showed no respect to the lower classes' to do so would require me to be a hypocrite which i am not, just because she died don't alter my view.