milling pics and vids

burrell_

Never came back to me on it ... I still have a 2ft by 5 ft lump in the work shop getting in my way for you! But it has some great colours in it.

I was thinking about that hollow elm with the burrs on if you fancy getting on that and we go halfs on the timber?

Never came back to me on it ... I still have a 2ft by 5 ft lump in the work shop getting in my way for you! But it has some great colours in it.

I was thinking about that hollow elm with the burrs on if you fancy getting on that and we go halfs on the timber?

Is that a bit your saving for me Matty?

iv got a winch for it rob but ent had time to sort it out :blushing::blushing:

and after them big planks yesterday next time I go milling im going to fit it :lol::lol::lol: my wrists hurt today

ok matty give me a week or so and I will come pick the 2 bits of cherry up when I go see ur mate across the road

is that the elm bur u was telling me about a year :lol: ago sound intreating

Edited by burrell_

I have my eyes on a couple of recently dead old elm pollards . That one rob I'm working ... We are on a different tree same site soon ,will make him an offer... I already have and he refused but it looks like it could yield some really interesting planks.

The one I told you about martin is on a mates Field not as interesting timber wise but we can probably get it for free if we ring up the rest.

Couple from last weekend, windblown oak.

First time using the winch, so much easier.

Sorry about the photos, was a dark corner and it was drizzling.

did u buy a winch ur self or buy what rob sells the only reason I ask is iv got a winch and wondered what cord u uses

cheers martin

Good to see the pics, although I'm not sure I wanted reminding just yet of some of it, particularly being coated in sawdust from the mini-mill - my wrists ache too but at least the cramping up has stopped.

Only thing I think isn't shown in the pics is running the 090 on the 4ft bar straight up the middle of that bottom section. Only fitted with 1/2" to spare. The winch would have been good on that one, just haven't got round to fitting it yet.

Did you get any pics/video of the Ripsaw in action (or video of the mini-mill)?

Alec

Got the one that Rob recommended in this thread

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/alaskan-mill/58216-very-cool-way-winching-your-alaskan-up-log-2.html

I use washing line cord like this

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=321186169546

Which is OK but bit chunky but anything with a bit of stretch in it would do, I think Rob said he's got starter cord on his now, will probably change mine over and see which I prefer.

Well worth setting up on the winch, I was really surprised how much difference it makes, thinking of making up a throttle lock to save myself having to hold it open as that's now the hard part of the job.