Price per 1m cube next year.

brewpup

As fat as a fool and twice as happy.

With a twice happy wife snuggled in beside me.

(an three dogs in the bed and one beside)

An keeping 2 weans at Uni an in motors.

Also a final year failed Civil Engineer with a memory for mostly useless detail.

(Sammy terzaggi and krepner trego analysis and herman bernouliee an all that.)

A prefectionist by psycometric profiling.

(With Jackdaws nesting in the chimney and also in through the rather large hole in the soffait above the front door)

I also suspect I am dyslexic and somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

At 54 no worries and I have ceased to give a tinkers curse how others percieve me.

btw

I prefer the company of most animals to that of most people:001_tt2:

PS

Me and the Mrs. just scoffed 1/2 a large box of Thorntons cos we run oot o Haggendaz.

Edited by difflock

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As fat as a fool and twice as happy.

With a twice happy wife snuggled in beside me.

(an three dogs in the bed and one beside)

An keeping 2 weans at Uni an in motors.

Also a final year failed Civil Engineer with a memory for mostly useless detail.

(Sammy terzaggi and krepner trego analysis and herman bernouliee an all that.)

A prefectionist by psycometric profiling.

(With Jackdaws nesting in the chimney and also in through the rather large hole in the soffait above the front door)

I also suspect I am dyslexic and somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

At 54 no worries and I have ceased to give a tinkers curse how others percieve me.

btw

I prefer the company of most animals to that of most people:001_tt2:

PS

Me and the Mrs. just scoffed 1/2 a large box of Thorntons cos we run oot o Haggendaz.

So grand master, settle this riddle once and for all if you would, should log bags be only known as one cube bags, and all others be known as dumpies, or can we have a lower down the pecking order type version perhaps known as the 0.73m bag or even the builders 0.5m version?

Please put this to rest once and for all yee mighty one!:biggrin:

Tsk tsk gentlemen.

(i) Sand and aggregate is sold by the tonne ex builders merchants, the moisture content makes very little difference due to the free draining nature of these products.

(ii) About 1.5 to 2.0 tonne per m3, hence the "odd" volume of a builders tonne bag.

(iii) mass concrete being 2.4 t/m3

An imperial ton is 2240lbs being 20cwt by 8 stone by 14lbs in a stone

A tonne is 1000kg by near nuff 2.2lbs = 2200lbs i.e. 20lbs "light"

Or was sometimes referred to as a "short" ton.

The intersnot will provide more exact comparisons and bulk densities.

cheers

marcus

Sorry marcus - a short tonne is 2000lb - commonly used in the states and also for some reason which I do not understand also normally used to quote large crane capacities

cheers

mac

Well them dammned Yankees are a meddling again.

Thanks Mac, I unnerstan that I picked it up in our farming press, probably cos some bleeding farmer misunnerstood the correct usuage.

Now wtf 2000lb, was this some kinda early Yankee attempt at going "metric"

Though I do know that until suprisingly recently our cwt varied between different regions/market towns, as in a cwt could be comprised of a different no of lbs.

marcus

18 Sotoner,

I believe the reference to "dumpy" bags is reasonably self explanatory, implying small or undersized.

Btw the 0.73m3 is Sooooooooooooo nearly 1cu yd as to be aggravating (about 95%)

And if one chooses to describe a bag a 1.0m3 it bloody well should be.

But then how cognatively lacking is most of the population if they cannot figure 1.0m3 means 1m by 1m by 1m.

Bit like

Army time

Zulu time

GMT

European time

Excercise time

UK time (summer)

UK time (winter)

From hazy rememberances of TA Euro Excercises with some quite heated discussions as to what time ACTUALLY REALLY was.

Which was quite pertinent when catching the Ferry to get back home

The above 5 posts are the best argument for everybody fully adopting the metric system that I have ever read. :lol:

But metric is so exact, clinical almost. As a Yorkshireman we always pride ourselves in honesty, to the point of making sure the customer always gets his fair deal. Our bags are always fuller than level, so giving the equivellant to the bakers dozen of years ago.

Brings me to thinking in this new fandangled metric world, if there is room in it for the logmans cube? Possibly make it 1.1m if its rounded off on the top of the bag?

Bit like

Army time

Zulu time

GMT

European time

Excercise time

UK time (summer)

UK time (winter)

From hazy rememberances of TA Euro Excercises with some quite heated discussions as to what time ACTUALLY REALLY was.

Which was quite pertinent when catching the Ferry to get back home

Time is just nature's way of making sure everything doesn't happen at once. :biggrin: