Branching out

Shane

I always vowed to steer clear of fencing (get asked by customers regularly) but this week I made an exception.

I needed about 50ft of fencing in my own front garden and had redeived a few quotes.

Recently we had a job cancelled at the last minute so I thought -

'Why not see if we can do a good job?'

We had a couple of spare days -

If it turns out crappy - we can re do it to perfection -

When it is perfect we can decide if we fancy doing it as a service for others.

So we did it - and got a great result first time - one run using panels in slotted posts and one run with close boarded panels, arris rails, wooden posts on spurs.

I thought it came outr well (as good as any fences down our road)It was actually good fun, I paid my guys their usual day rate and I still came out of it quids in.

Very happy and now gonna say 'yes' when people ask if we do fencing.

fencing3.jpg.9c196f6a21419a23c3c3ace8c3a915b3.jpg

fencing2.jpg.8e5423caef04b2b69c2fe58aaba95c84.jpg

fencing1.jpg.f7bfd72712361fab4c7bd89df358f335.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job mate I have to do a fair bit so bought a stihl bt121 earth auger no more digging also great for drilling round stumps and stuff.

Done a fair bit of fencing since I started out, and I have to say an auger is almost essential! Saves so much time!!

Had to do 50m a while back, in sure it would have taken twice as long without the auger!

How is the stihl? I may invest in one. ( would match the rest of my gear too :P)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

It depends who you talk to - searching Google brings up prices per 'panel' rather than per metre - some say over £100 per 3mtr panel including supply of all materials and removal of all waste.

I must admit i'd be intrigued to know what others charge.

Good job, just one thing, how high is the fence next to the pavement? I'm asking as I put a 6 ft fence up next to a pavement and the council made the customer take it down to 1.5m. Someone grassed.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Good job, just one thing, how high is the fence next to the pavement? I'm asking as I put a 6 ft fence up next to a pavement and the council made the customer take it down to 1.5m. Someone grassed.

Good point, i think the law is max 6ft 6ins between propertys , but on the front of the property it could obscure vision for drivers

Good point, i think the law is max 6ft 6ins between propertys , but on the front of the property it could obscure vision for drivers

I had no idea about this until the customer rang me, I met the planning officer and they showed me the rules and basically if we moved the fence back 1.5m from the pavement then it could be left at 6ft but if we didn't move it then it had to be 1.5m high. As we had concreted the posts in it was decided that we would cut the fence down to 1.5 m. The customer was ok with this luckily . Since then I have seen a few fences round my way being altered because of this.