Am I using the wrong 2stroke oil?

Coletti

Really. I use to use basic 2 stroke oil picked up from my local motor factors, comma oil it was. Used it on the outboard with no problems at all.

But I think the marine stuff is down to pollutants going into the water than what the oil is.

Ok . I thought it an odd explanation but its what the bloke who owned the out board said . May be it was a load of tosh .......:001_smile:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really. I use to use basic 2 stroke oil picked up from my local motor factors, comma oil it was. Used it on the outboard with no problems at all.

But I think the marine stuff is down to pollutants going into the water than what the oil is.

I was told that outboard oils contain something that reduces plug fouling as they're usually held on a steady throttle for extended periods. Other engines are usually up and down the rev range.

As for the original post; use his fuel :-)

Ok . I thought it an odd explanation but its what the bloke who owned the out board said . May be it was a load of tosh .......:001_smile:

No, its totally true. You should never use horticultural oil in an outboard motor.

Its down to the cylinder temperatures which are much lower on a water cooled outboard. A horti oil will remain unburnt and caused excessive deposits to form on the piston crown.

It is however possible to use marine oil in a horti engine as long as it has the correct JAS rating, but I would not personly do this.

Use the right oil for the job IMO, but use any good quality Horti oil for your saws.

Keep clear of cheap multi-purpose oils (those that say ' boats, mopeds, saws, mowers etc). They may work, you may get away with it, but when the going gets tough....?

Apparently marine 2 stroke oil is different though . My mate borrowed an out board but took his own saw fuel and it ran for a short time then stopped and left him all at sea so to speak . He had to row back . The bloke whose out board it was said it was down to the oil ??

Marine 2stroke is designed for engines that run a lot colder because they suck up cold water. I would only use marine oil for marine engines and good quility 2stroke for air cooled engines in saws etc. We would not recomend aspen2 for Marine use. Aspen4 with marine 2stroke ideal.

Marine 2stroke is designed for engines that run a lot colder because they suck up cold water. I would only use marine oil for marine engines and good quility 2stroke for air cooled engines in saws etc. We would not recomend aspen2 for Marine use. Aspen4 with marine 2stroke ideal.

Thanks . Understood . Not tosh then ! :001_smile: