Slough And Power

leedeerman

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard on the grapevine today that Slough biomass power station has closed permanently, no doubt resulting in many job loses.

Does anyone have anymore info on this?

Now what am I going to do with the chip

It was announced a few days back along with dire warnings about the electrcity supply in general and low gas reserves in store:

Energy firm warns that lights are "going out" | News | Heating and Ventilation News

If it is finished I'm surprised it's so soon after the announcement.

That will mean an embarassing few heaps around the countryside the firm I do work for will have to find a home for, not to mention the prospects for the lorry driver.

Got told today that Slough is being shut down permanently 2 weeks from today. It takes around 3000 tons a week. It was a coal fired station that got converted to biomassand that it breaks down regularly. Apparently woodchip came from all over, Wales, Scotland, which sounds daft, big 500hp trucks running the length and breadth of the country. People basically got paid to supply them.

So. .. What happens next. My recycling place produces 13000v tons a year. Gristwood and toms produce 12000. Where's it all going to go. Are drax going to build the new biomass plants, that apparently the UK will not be able to supply enough chip for so they are thinking on importing chip from America? ???? It's basically screwed everyone's business models up big time.

They may well refurbish the station but then start charging to drop the chip off. Who knows.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Edited by redmoosefaction

There are plenty of biomass fuelled power stations across the UK. Slough was just one of the first.

The excess will easily get absorbed elsewhere as new plants are opening all the time.

Most from Slough will go to S Wales. Folks will just get less per tonne for their waste chip.