Makita DCS520 doesn't cut

RealEstate

I've cleaned it out round the sprocket & bar and sharpened the chain as I normally do, inc the depth gauges.

But it doesn't cut properly, tries to run off to the side and only small chips coming out (as if the chain was blunt!).

Also the clutch seems to slip rather easily, eg if I put any pressure on it .

Saw is 8yrs old and has been used around the farm. Been a good saw up to now - but it's never been for a dealer service.

Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've cleaned it out round the sprocket & bar and sharpened the chain as I normally do, inc the depth gauges.

But it doesn't cut properly, tries to run off to the side and only small chips coming out (as if the chain was blunt!).

Also the clutch seems to slip rather easily, eg if I put any pressure on it .

Saw is 8yrs old and has been used around the farm. Been a good saw up to now - but it's never been for a dealer service.

Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA!

If the chain is in good condition then it is highly likely the bar has splayed rails and possibly one is worn more than the other.

I have had a tuned saw at full bore in the wood with nothing coming out and no depth being made down to a bar that has worn.

Try to roll the chain from side to side in the bar - best done with the machine switched off:blushing::001_rolleyes: and see what th eroll is like.

Also remove the bar, put it in a bench vice and put a steel rule across the rails 90 degrees to the cut and look for the rails being longer on one side that the other (the rule will not be square to the bar).

A sign of this is the cutters on one side of the chain getting polished away and the other side looking almost new!

Try sharpening the chain!

He says he has sharpened the chain ! Assuming ha knows how to sharpen I'm going with spud on this . Seen it before .There comes a time when the bar is too worn . One day it cuts then it won;t any more . Thats life ! :001_smile:

Great constructive comments gents:001_rolleyes:

He said the chain is sharp and comments on the depth gauges being the correct height, call me sherlock but that usually means that he may know how to sharpen a chain correctly:lol:

Lets stick with what Andy and I reckon - always like it when the advice is correct:thumbup:

Now wheres that deer stalker and magnifying glass:001_tt2:

Don't want to appear rude but on my CS30 test I had to comment on checking the condition of the bar and problems that arise from wear. Checking straightness and using bar dresser etc. Formal training when using a chainsaw may be a good idea. I personally don't assume someone knows what there doing because they check the depth gauges.

My suggestion check the condition of the bar as stated and if that seems to be a problem buy another bar if you are only going through them every 8 years. I would get a new chain and sprocket as well, treat yourself. In fact air filter,fuel filter and new spark plug and give the machine a good blast with a compressor and you will have a new saw.

Hope that helps. :001_cool:

Seems silly but are the cutters longer on one side of the chain? As for bars, a slight deformation in the bar such as a bend will make it cut like a banana, and a burr along the rails will stop it from cutting, had that many times with oregon bars!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App