Change of career.

chipper080

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't climb trees but would like to one day and i print my own leaflets as it keeps the cost down.

Thanks for the comments

Big no. No offence mate, but you don't sound capable of writing and designing engaging copy. It's a skill, just like using a chainsaw. Whilst I'm exceptionally capable around machinery, I recognise my limits elswhere. Anything you design in my opinion is not likely to get results.

I always take the view that as design agency would be stupid to try to take down a tree in their car park, I would be stupid to try to design my own flyers and expect the same results.

I would highly recommend Colchester Press- a very helpful bunch of guys and excellent value for money. If you give them a ring, Eric there is very knowledgeable re what gets results on leaflet drops. His advice to me was worth the cost of the leaflets alone!

A5 Full Colour Leaflets / Flyers 1 SIDE - 115g - FREE DESIGN 2500 - 5000 - 7500 | eBay

Plus it's almost certainly not as cheap as you think to print your own, especially on an inkjet. The time, etc, taken cutting them out. Use that time much more wisely by delivering them and doing the jobs that arise.

I have tried local farms and they are not employing as most are family run now.

Thanks nick but that was one route i did try as local shops and tree surgeons same story with all.

thanks

That's good that you've tried the farms. Try them again.

If you call me now I can't offer you anything but who knows what will happen in a week or three. A few big jobs could come in, some extreme weather could create some work.

Just because you called all the local Arb firms last month, that was a month ago. Call them again.

Keep at it, then keep at it again.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

That's good that you've tried the farms. Try them again.

If you call me now I can't offer you anything but who knows what will happen in a week or three. A few big jobs could come in, some extreme weather could create some work.

Just because you called all the local Arb firms last month, that was a month ago. Call them again.

Keep at it, then keep at it again.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Definitely. We have a lad that comes into the yard every couple of weeks asking for a job. We've nothing for him at the moment, but he'll be first in line when the opportunity arises.

Definitely. We have a lad that comes into the yard every couple of weeks asking for a job. We've nothing for him at the moment, but he'll be first in line when the opportunity arises.

Exactly right. So many people expect things to fall into their lap these days.

I hate being pestered but if someone shows initiative and commitment and wants to work I have to respect that and feel obliged to do what I can to get them into work.

As a friendly bit of constructive criticism Mike, I find you come across as quite defeatist. That may not be your intention and could just be a misinterpretation of your posts, but this is a great shop window if you approach it right. Quite often you don't do yourself any favours.

You had a really positive spell a while ago where you were upbeat and getting on, people wanted to help you through respect for you. Now it feels like you're heading back to a woe is me, 'I can't drive, no one will give me a chance' mindset and are only going to get helped through pity. That's not a good thing.

Without being too personal, are you of a generally happy demeanour, or do you find things get on top of you? You could be suffering from a bit of depression, a trip to your GP may be worth making, just for a chat.

My earlier post about taking a loan to get mobile still stands. If you genuinely believe that all you need is transport to enable you to work, then it's a sound business investment. I wouldn't generally encourage anyone to take a personal loan, but I think it could be something thing for you to at least consider, you should look into all the costs and work out what it would enable you to earn, if the figures stack up, then go for it, if not, nothing lost. :001_smile:

Edited by WorcsWuss

i think if iam honest for me my van is my most important and often used( every job) tool of the lot.

i realise its all a bit catch 22, but your asking for work but cant get there so i think you may be giving prospective employers a bad impression, i would imagine they dont want to even think about how you get there.

are you any good with cars?? fix up n sell a couple of old ones.

flyers are good as the outlay is minimal.

how about a motor bike or scooter as you can drive on L plates and there a lot cheaper to get on the road.

best of luck carl