starter lathe

dervishcarving

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep your eyes open for an old poolewood 28/40 they last years and are sturdy pieces of kit

I have 2 Keep one for spares

I have 1 as well and like it

Though had to have motor rewound recently which was not pleasant.

Do you have the bars on the left as well for doing big stuff to the front

I have got a union graduate 36" bed and out board headstock for bowl turning.the link I have put on here have some good secondhand ones. One has inboard and board for bowl turning.Email: [email protected]

Tel: +44 (0) 1903 892510

Fax: +44 (0) 1903 892221

The Mill, Mill Lane, Ashington

West Sussex, RH20 3BX UK

Home page

About us

How to buy

Items wanted

Find us

Catalogue

New arrivals

Clearance

Makers

Search

Links

Lathes

Description Price Maker Item Code

Record DML24 Woodturning Lathe with Stand.1ph £100.00 +VAT Record 9374

Union Graduate 30 inch Between Centres Wood Lathe, 3ph £750.00 +VAT Union Graduate 9391

Union Graduate 30 inch Between Centres Wood Lathe,1ph £675.00 +VAT Union Graduate 9253

Union Graduate 42 inch Between Centres Wood Lathe, Tooled, 3ph £875.00 +VAT Union Graduate 9327

Union Graduate Bowl Lathe £325.00 +VAT Union Graduate 6982

Union Graduate Short Bed Bowl Lathe, Chisels, Tooling, Chuck, 1ph £825.00 +VAT Union Graduate 9367

Union Graduate Short Bed Lathe,3ph £825.00 +VAT Union Graduate 9034

Union Jubilee Woodturning Lathe, 3ph £275.00 +VAT Harrison 8945

Hi Dave .... Thought I would share my experience with you as I went through the process of buying a lathe about 18 months ago. I new nothing and managed to get lots of info on what I needed from my local Woodturners club who were very welcoming to a complete novice. I think you have already had advice from people who know much more than me but it struck me if you are currently on a pole lathe (presumably outdoors !!) and you are going to be turning in a sheds confined space ... and you are looking at set up costs.... you will need some form of extraction. Dont underestimate the cost of your health.

I was lucky to pick up a 12 month old Record CL3 off E-bay for £200 although it was 300 mile round trip to go get it !! If you go to AWGB website and find your most local branches you may find they have members with lathes for sale... usually older guys who have stopped turning now but really looked after their machines.

Hope this helps ...sorry if you had already thought of these things ... Best of luck with it !!