Safety at Street Works

David Humphries

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Always, always, always have a banksman. I had a jogger on a path last week, asked him to stop, got ignored, so stepped in front of him and told him to stop. "Oh, but I might not get going again, ha, ha". Yeah, says I, as a big chunk of wood falls out of the tree, but if that had hit you you'd really have had problems getting going again. I think he got the point.

Same story day before yesterday with a bus. He decided the light had been red for too long and that the best thing was just to ignore it. Lights were red both ways, but normally we put someone in the carriageway on either side of the drop zone to intercept the idiots. Again, bits of tree falling onto the road seemed to drive my point of red lights mean stop home.

I could go on, I've got loads of these.... It still amazes me how stupid people can be though. :confused1:

A pile of brash behind the barriers seems to help. The idiots will walk around barriers, duck under tape etc but the don't like lifting there feet to step over branches

Until someone sues for tripping on a hazard :001_rolleyes:

HI DAVID i no this sound mad but just have 2/3 more chaps to stop some pedestrians coming around stop barriers its mad they around the barriers all the best jon :thumbup:

We had 5 on the ground yesterday, one person at each end.

One lady was prepared to walk her and her toddler out on to the road :confused1:

david you missing one thing

the becon on the tractor but other wise a good job

Why thank you kind sir.

But surely you must be mistaken.

There must be more than just one thing missing :biggrin:

i was clearing passing places on a rural road but a rat run. so did it mid morning. when not much traffic a bout. i had men at work signs up and had the truck with a banksman in it with lights on and flashing beacon. chap came up road moved truck in to passing place started ranting that i was impending the flow of traffic and was a hiccup in his progress along road. the banksman politely said if you have a problem speak to parish council. he drove off muttering under his breath.

other drivers no problem put there hands up and some said doing a good job. just get the idiots who think its there right to do what they do every day and you are giving them grief doing essential work.:001_tt2:

david it looked like you and the rest of your team did well to set up such good measures in closing off the footway and creating a new alternative safe route, but as everyone knows that pedestrians are a pain in the preverbial there is not much more we can do but keep good communication between the work force as plenty of people are bound to duck under tape move barrriers and be in danger but thats the narrow minded people that will just do what they want.

well done in organising this well and i hope there was not too many other

problems.

We use tripods with winch for confined spaces rescue. Had someone hit one once ( on phone)and drag it 10ft up road. Luckily guy at end had unhooked as would have killed him hitting top of chamber back of head first!

Anyone had signs stolen when your backs turned?

yes and run over. and wrecked. and just look at you strange because it was half in road with cones directing them around.