Career Change

Backpain

If your really set on giving it a try then do it. I made the drastic career change 6yrs ago from office based IT (after 22yrs) to tree work at the grand young age of 38. I climb and can easily give the young uns a run for their money on the ground and in the air at 44 and my only regret is that I did'nt do this sooner.

Yeah I feel the aches and pains, arthritis in the hips and all, but I never felt so alive than when I'm sweating my nads off, sawdust up my nose, tree sap and crap under my fingernails, and a throbbing chainsaw in my hands. And each day I can't wait to get out there and do it all again.

Good luck to you mate.

Wow guys there's some fantastic tales behind all of you ventures and i'm so pleased there's other people out there who have made the break. You've really given me that extra boost I was hoping for. I'm really gonna go for now because I can see from what so many of you are saying that basically you feel alive! Just looking forward to getting my first throbbing chainsaw. I probably quite lucky too because I've got a mate in the game who's been learning from a couple of masters, so there's a chance I can join the gang...as their groundie. Oh what stick I'm in for.

Keep looking after those trees boys and I'll look forward to some more yarning. Better get me CS30/31 booked next week.

Cheers.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate I've had years in this game , if you start now you will only become frustrated, you'll never be as quick and agile as a youngster, groundwork is hard too, more so than climbing, i've seen plenty of new older climbers, i'm sorry to say I wouldn't employ them, speed equals £'s in this game, hard facts i'm affraid....

You could however set-up on your own and combine a little woodland work , with the odd days climbing, hedge cutting, etc, the money would be pretty poor though, money isn't very good in this game.......

Unless your fortunate enough to work for an LA, that doesn't work contract/bonus, then it's all about the quality not the quantity. :001_smile:

Oh yes!!!!!!

Thats soooo true!!!!!:sneaky2:

Because when they put work out too tender its always quality above price!!!! yeah right!!!:sneaky2:

The job is only as hard as you make it. Some of the best production climbers in the world are 50+

Having the mental toughness is where many fall short....the words 'I Cant' are all too instinctive for some people, regardless of age.

I say yes, its a great opportunity. We spend the best part of our conscious lives at work so you at least oughta be looking for something you'll enjoy.

You could however set-up on your own and combine a little woodland work , with the odd days climbing, hedge cutting, etc, the money would be pretty poor though, money isn't very good in this game.......

i think this would be a good avenue for someone like yourself to explore. try getting a bit of experience then get your own little thing going. doing the nice climbing jobs yourself and get contract climbers in for the other parts while you concentrate on building a business.

of course, the above would all be great if times werent like they are. you'll certainly be up against things at the moment.

Having the mental toughness is where many fall short....the words 'I Cant' are all too instinctive for some people, regardless of age.

We spend the best part of our conscious lives at work so you at least oughta be looking for something you'll enjoy.

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

i think this would be a good avenue for someone like yourself to explore. try getting a bit of experience then get your own little thing going. doing the nice climbing jobs yourself and get contract climbers in for the other parts while you concentrate on building a business.

Sound advice. A good contract climber will teach you plenty over time and allow you to do good work efficiently.

To set your prices, look at your costs and what you want to earn. Ignore what others are doing. People looking solely for the cheapest price are best avoided from the start.

I was always looking at it from the point of view of making it into a long tern career or own business. Staying in it longs term I'd look at getting some qualifications probably in forestry or land management. Own business route wise, well my better half is really into gardening so we could do garden maintenance or landscaping further down the line once our child starts school.

The easy part will be taking the first step! I'm sure.

Is the work starting to dry up due to the crunch?