Stumpgrinding how much to charge

Gardenmac

£55.00 for a half decent grinder is very cheap to hire.

I know Dale hire charge £125.00 P/D inc sharpening

I would charge based on a higher hire rate (client does not need to know how much the grinder costs or where you get it from).

£200 Days labour

What about fuel for machine, truck to collect/return grinder, your time, disposing of grindings? Commercial tip costs? risk of Window breakages etc.

Its no fun doing a job when its so tight id rather stay at home in bed!

I would be at £350-£385.00 If hiring - £250.00 - £285.00 with my own grinder.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

£55.00 for a half decent grinder is very cheap to hire.

I know Dale hire charge £125.00 P/D inc sharpening

I would charge based on a higher hire rate (client does not need to know how much the grinder costs or where you get it from).

£200 Days labour

What about fuel for machine, truck to collect/return grinder, your time, disposing of grindings? Commercial tip costs? risk of Window breakages etc.

Its no fun doing a job when its so tight id rather stay at home in bed!

I would be at £350-£385.00 If hiring - £250.00 - £285.00 with my own grinder.

its 2hrs work??!

window breakages?surely you should be responsible for preventing this rather than charging extra for negligence?

Must be a major North -South divide on pricing as 2hrs grinding with own machine for £180.00 - £30.00 fuel tops leaves you with £70.00/hr? thought that was a good mornings work :confused1:

Dangled carrots used to tempt me, but I've learnt the hard way ..... People will tell you anything to get the price cheaper.

Just got stung myself with the promise of site clearance on a healthy day rate if I could just re-negotiate the price work element to make it cheaper - worked like a dog for next to nowt on the price work only to be told 'we won't be needing you for the rest'!

Price accordingly

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I too have been stung with the old " we have lots of work comi g up on our various property's and we want to use you on them.....if you can keep costs down!" Them I see someone else working there!! Sod em. Change what you'll charge anyone else and that's that.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Sorry to Derail!

Priced up a large fencing job last autumn which came to 45k there were two straight forward take downs to do and some grinding which came to £2000 as expected client asked if there was anything that could be done on the price, yes if you decide to have the fencing done I will include the take downs and grinding job included in the fencing price.

Needless to say we got the fencing job and spent 3 winter months on site, customer was happy because in there eyes they got 2k of work for free.

Also been caught out in the past price wise with empty promises on further work.

its 2hrs work??!

window breakages?surely you should be responsible for preventing this rather than charging extra for negligence?

Must be a major North -South divide on pricing as 2hrs grinding with own machine for £180.00 - £30.00 fuel tops leaves you with £70.00/hr? thought that was a good mornings work :confused1:

Those two hours soon turn into 4 or 5 if I could be guaranteed to be out in two hours then obviously it would be less it still means its inconvenienced my day for £140 when I could be out on site with a two or three man team earning triple that.

If work was slow then yeah go for it!

Everyone's pricing is bespoke to there individual needs I know what I need to earn a day so that's why I charge what I charge. Fred down the roads overheads might be half of mine so he's happy to take a hit on the price.

At the end of the day if your happy with the price that's all that matters!

Best of luck with it and hope it does lead to more!