Ive just seen 8 buzzers birds in one field

mendiplogs

Getting some red and occasional black kites .

Red kites have reached my bit of NW Surrey now but I didn't realise black kites were here. This is the bird that was called the shite hawk because it lived on the solid sewerage that was shipped out of towns to be spread on fields before sewage treatment plants existed but I always assumed this was in the middle east rather than UK.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buzzards only really rely on carrion/road kill. They will eat young rabbits etc but despite there size they have small feet and are quite slow. Falcons rely on speed/impact/strike to kill whereas the buzzard cant.

I saw a merlin this week in the wild which is the first one ive ever seen in my area. Used to breed peregrines in captivity etc so normally hear the latest gossip but never heard vof a merlin before in this area.

the buzzards are starting to court again plus will have there yearlings in tow. this time of year with it being cold. they are rather lazy birds so if they can get a easy meal will so any carrion. but worms small invertebrate frogs toads will eat them. have red kites north of us but not seen any hanging around the fields. have a good no of Tawney,little owl,s. sparrow hawk i seen. but when its warm and thermals in air love to lay back on grass and watch the buzzards collecting thermals

and just rise thousands of feet in air.

the buzzards are starting to court again plus will have there yearlings in tow. this time of year with it being cold. they are rather lazy birds so if they can get a easy meal will so any carrion. but worms small invertebrate frogs toads will eat them. have red kites north of us but not seen any hanging around the fields. have a good no of Tawney,little owl,s. sparrow hawk i seen. but when its warm and thermals in air love to lay back on grass and watch the buzzards collecting thermals

and just rise thousands of feet in air.

HI SPARROW yes it was a eye opener mate jon :thumbup:

counted six in a spiral/slipstream thursday in wales. Apparently many fly over here from france to feed on mixxy rabbits

Cant say ive ever heard that? Plenty of pigeons come across from over there tho.

They do congregate now in numbers for mating as suggested, They will pair up and go there seperate ways in the next month.