Very Cheap Hand Winch advice

Gnome

Toolstation > Automotive > Jacks, Stands & Winches > Pull Winch

Saw this when I was looking through the catalogue. I was wondering if anyone has used this type of winch. I am well aware of the Tirfor winch but couldn't justify the purchase of one for these applications.

1. Pulling out very small stump/shrub material.

2. Rescuing the odd chance my ride-on gets stuck.

3. Manouvering logs in tight spots where I can't get vehicular access. (Mainly carving material and the odd log for milling).

I have seen a couple on ebay stating there use for stumps and caravans. But always wary of such claims.

Don't imagine working anything near to the 4000kg rating.

Any advice would be great thanks.:thumbup:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not tried one but one comment from the picture. If the handle is that short then either you can't get anywhere near the 4000kg pull or the travel per stroke would have to be extremely short. A 5T Tirfor in low gear pulls an inch or so per stroke and that's with a long handle....

Alec

I think the 4T pull is for things with wheels on like boats on trailers, caravans etc. on the level. Very different matter pulling out stumps or dead weights. I resisted the urge to get one, and held out for a second hand Tirfor which is an absolute marvel to see working but is very heavy to carry around (not much fun taking it 1k into a forest across a river and uphill) so the thing in the ad looks attractive mainly because it looks light. I would be wondering at that price how long it would last. But as you say for occasional light work it could have its moments.

Think dalton is right. The 4t bit would be rolling stock pull. I.e on a trailer or wheels. Drag pull would be half that. Doesn't really say much about it to be honest. Can't see if the handle has a safety device in it like the tifor.

Could be ok for light use. Or as emergency backup.

my one looks exactly like this one, mine was rated a 1t pull, there's no way in hell it would pull a 4t dead weight. also to get "1t pull" you have to double the cable to use the pulley/hook and as the cable is only 1m long that leaves you with less than 0.5 m pull, ok you could do some jiggery pokery with ropes but a massive pita.

by the time you get full tension in the system you've run out of cable.