Comic relief, I hate it!

Le Sanglier

Anyone else dread these unfunny dregs clogging up our Friday night with their self promoting "charridy" horse manure?

Last night there was some bloody Spice Girl going down an African river to highlight poverty! Why not give them all the money you received for singing your awful songs? then you can have some of ours!:thumbdown:

don't like it myself,but wouldn't slag it off either.SAD.:001_rolleyes:

Sorry chaps, on this occasion I'm with the objectionable ex-pat.

If these 'celebrities' really cared about helping others they'd pitch in with voluntary projects regularly, not just when it gets them on telly.

I'd be very interested to see the real figures behind comic relief. I don't believe tv companies etc do things for nothing these days, certainly not things as expensive as comic relief....

You have no idea what people are doing privately.

If they do int on the quite they get slagged off, if they publicise it they get slagged off, they can't win, can they??:001_rolleyes:

How would you feel if it was you kid dying of malaria? I think you should just shut up!:)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

I've always been uncomfortable with the rather arrogant western opinion that we can fix third world problems by parading some parochial personalities on our national tv stations and raising small amounts of money.... All we do is move the problem, we never solve it. I also feel that in moving the problems Africa will never be able to really get stuck into solving them, so in insisting on keeping Africa as a charity case, we keep it stuck in poverty....

Just my view though :001_smile:

I've always been uncomfortable with the rather arrogant western opinion that we can fix third world problems by parading some parochial personalities on our national tv stations and raising small amounts of money.... All we do is move the problem, we never solve it. I also feel that in moving the problems Africa will never be able to really get stuck into solving them, so in insisting on keeping Africa as a charity case, we keep it stuck in poverty....

Poor attitude really, just so long as it doesn't effect you eh? Good job bob held of didn't have that attitude.

You have no idea what people are doing privately.

If they do int on the quite they get slagged off, if they publicise it they get slagged off, they can't win, can they??:001_rolleyes:

If celebrity is power and these people are indeed doing things 'out of hours' shouldn't we hear about these things locally....? I can't recall ever having a celebrity join in with a local charity project and widen it's publicity and make it more successful.

I've only seen them involved in things which increase their exposure while the general public throw money at their feet..... :001_smile:

I hate the telly around this time. It does wind me up so you are not alone le sanlier.

I don't really mind the charity thing, just some of the comics think they are funny when they are clearly not. And I feel they try and ram it down your throught. Hence why I don't watch it. I'm all for charity's and helping out but don't want it shoved in my face for weeks.

Just my opinion on it all.

That may all be true, but criticising those who are simply trying to do some good, is pretty low IMO :thumbdown:

Anyone else dread these unfunny dregs clogging up our Friday night with their self promoting "charridy" horse manure?

Last night there was some bloody Spice Girl going down an African river to highlight poverty! Why not give them all the money you received for singing your awful songs? then you can have some of ours!:thumbdown:

miserable git you are, always on a downer!:001_rolleyes:

Poor attitude really, just so long as it doesn't effect you eh? Good job bob held of didn't have that attitude.

How much difference did bob actually make to Africa long term? Not as much difference as he did for himself for sure.... That's not a dig against bob, I think he's a shining example of human strength and decency, not so much for live aid, more for how he has taken on and brought up another's child as his own. Top bloke.

I just believe there are more effective and less narcissistic ways of 'doing charity' that mass televised back slapping....

Sorry chaps, on this occasion I'm with the objectionable ex-pat.

If these 'celebrities' really cared about helping others they'd pitch in with voluntary projects regularly, not just when it gets them on telly.

I'd be very interested to see the real figures behind comic relief. I don't believe tv companies etc do things for nothing these days, certainly not things as expensive as comic relief....

It is a charity so has no financial gain the bird on the radio this afternoon said they are sponsored by sainsburys and bt and others to keep the overheads going the monney raised(108 million last year) goes to help folk 60 percent to Africa and 40 here.

I can't stand the celebrity bit either but if they raise some monney and someone watches and donates surely that's a good thing? I don't find it funny so I don't wacth it

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App