chipper running costs

Dowie

Hi guys, looking into getting my first chipper, TW150 dhb, just wanted to know from some of you who have run them day in day out, on an average 5 day week, how much diesel you get throught. Also whats the avereage servicing cost.

thanks for your help

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The annual diesel consumption may just be a small part. You are right to ask about service costs. I had a timberwolf and converted to Greenmech - glad I did.

That's just my opinion. Mo doubt there are many wolfies on here who would dispute my view.

Keep on top of the flywheel bearings - first hint of noise and change them before they wear the flywheel shaft. No other issues really. TWs have been popular for a long time.

Just be careful. Running costs of my greenmech have been stupidly low, its a 34hp motor and I recon its 3 times quicker with any pile of brash - that makes it cheaper.

And the blades last a lot longer.

Thanks for the replies, I havent finally decided on the TW its just familiar as I've used them before when working for other people, I will have to get a demo of a greenmech before I buy anything.

But things like the blades lasting longer etc is an important consideration, how often do you service yours and do you do it yourself or does it go to the dealer?

Cheers

Thanks for the replies, I havent finally decided on the TW its just familiar as I've used them before when working for other people, I will have to get a demo of a greenmech before I buy anything.

But things like the blades lasting longer etc is an important consideration, how often do you service yours and do you do it yourself or does it go to the dealer?

Cheers

I service it myself, no problems. Blades are a doddle compared to TW.

I get 30 hrs chipping time (that is flat out at a very productive rate) before having to turn the disc blades round 120 degrees.

That means 90 hours between blade changes!

A 2 man crew will put about 2- 3 hours on the machine each week.

Yes it don't seem like much but we probably do 10 -15 mtrs/week

Strange but true...our Quadchip costs less to run than the CS100.

Uses almost the same amount of fuel per hour but uses red to far less cost than petrol.

Also, it achieves probally 4 times the productivity for the same running cost.

Aside from the greater investment this Quadchip is cheaper to run and earns more money.

Not only that, but is is far more productive and less tiring although you have to race to keep up with the machine!

The blades, well, I take my time but I think under 30min to turn, more like 20min if you where cracking on and thats to turn the 2!

I watched a friend trying to change his 125TW blades and thought to myself...NEVER on a miserable, dark, cold day would I want to wrestle with that little beast.

Regards

Blade changes are pretty easy after you have done them a few times ... A few tips ... Clean out the bolt heads with a tuning screw driver then before you undo give the torx head a few taps with a hammer to get it properly in , use a wood chock as well, a bit of 2"by 2 " wood stops the fly wheel turning doing up and undoing.. Always grease the rollers when changing the blades, its pretty easy to see if the blades are done by checking the chip quality and you can see them through the feed rollers if the fly wheel stops right... Oil and filters every 100 hours.

I got about 350 hours before my tw needed new fins and a bearing change but its first 80 hours where as a hire machine so probably got hammered! It's on 600 now so time will tell when the fins will let go again.

That to me is there down fall bearings and ally fins ! I can live happily with mine , I think I may have given up the will to live if I had too carry on using my old gravely and Vermeer chippers!

Tw blades are the hardest to change out of any chipper i have worked on (quickchip, vermeer,greenmech,farmi,jankari,tp, and the german 1 that starts with s that i can not spell) out of all of then they are the biggest pain if the bolt head gets damaged also prob changed more main bairings in them than any outher brand. all said still a good chipper but much prefer my quadchip. fuel consumption can vary so much depending on if you stack then chip in little bursts or just leave it running and how much full size timber go's in, some times a tank can do me a week of normal work filling the landy every day and some days we are running on fuemes by 5pm on a clearance job. Tw are also a pain for the radiator getting blocked with fine dust and overheating so plan in time to keep on top of that.