Felling/forestry work

eddgaiger

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or how about a pm. "so and so's a good bloke give him a bell" I know quite a few forestry contractors. Very few have entries in the phone book, fewer websites. It's smaller and even closer knit that arb. Perhaps a little harsh without knowing more. Obviously he knows who not to ask.....

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

try wessex woodlands newbury they have various contractors

ian hampshire is based in alton and i could probaly put you in touch with him

i know various others if you want to know them.

Its a bloody hard indutry to get into! but its true what someone said to me "once your in it your in it" it took me a while before i found any forestry work but once i was doing it your hear and find out about many more contractors that previously you'd never hear about or find in a yellow pages.

problem is contractors will want you to have experience and by experience i mean commercial experience not just being able to fell a tree but plan where racks will go, stacking timber correctly and in the right place, not getting trees constantley hung up and being able to fell anything unsupervised.

then theres the money, its not very good tbh i started on £40 a day a couple of year ago felling trees and i had to pay for all fuel, saws, bars everything really and then when you get faster your piece rate goes down because you can fell more.

but even though its hard work its probaly some of the most rewarding work ive ever done!

Cool cheers for your help. Nice to see not everyone on here is an arsehole. And yeah Ive googled things and asked around so thought I'd post on here to.

I'm going to get in contact with some estates too and talk to there woodland people.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Yeah, bit harsh fellas. I'd imagine if he's bothered his arse to post on here, he's probably also asking round and looking in the phone book etc. Good luck eddgaiger, I'm sure most people will recognise you're putting the effort in, rather than just gypping you.

then theres the money, its not very good tbh i started on £40 a day a couple of year ago felling trees and i had to pay for all fuel, saws, bars everything really and then when you get faster your piece rate goes down because you can fell more.

but even though its hard work its probaly some of the most rewarding work ive ever done!

Then you're nuts. Two years ago £40 a day was below minimum wage. And you paid for everything??

As for dropping the piece rate once you'd improved, if I had a boss do that to me I'd rip him a new arsehole. And I'd expect the same from any of the lads who work for me. That's just not on.

I reckon there's trafficked prostitutes in third world countries less exploited than you :thumbdown: