SRT Q & A's Thread

2 Lyon tape slings with DMM sentintal binas and a spare sentintal so I can take a bite from the top of the wrench couple of wraps around the desired redirect point and clip the loop and legs of line together with the sentintal, then I also carry an abundance of natural redirects :biggrin:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dmc, Question about your avatar can you explain the splice into the connection point? Cheers Ian

Sure, Ian. It is not a splice at all. It is a doubled over eye-to-eye that I use as a tether. What you can see is a plastic zip tie to keep it from moving on the Uni. This way I can put the tether on or take it off easily.

Dave

Sure, Ian. It is not a splice at all. It is a doubled over eye-to-eye that I use as a tether. What you can see is a plastic zip tie to keep it from moving on the Uni. This way I can put the tether on or take it off easily.

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Any pros/cons in comparison to just using a crab?

Ian

...Any pros/cons in comparison to just using a crab? Ian

Not so much a pro or con, just an optional setup. I would often use the Uni as the upper ascender in a rope-walker setup. This works great, once up top, just remove the foot loop, unclip the Croll, kick out of the Pantin and go to work. You can make fast vertical gains by just reattaching the Pantin and stepping on that foot with your other foot so you are pushing up with both your legs like foot-locking.

Dave

Unitosaddle.jpg

I also do not like to just clip a carabiner into that big slot on the Uni. So I add a short piece of Bigshot tubeing. It makes a tight but flexible connection and removes the possibility of having the carabiner cross load.

Dave

e1ceff02-8040-443e-9f73-49306de49af4_zpsa2189596.jpg

Just thought I'd share a couple of my redirect options while on the subject,

Simple but effective when on bigger timber, or when you have run out of slings and binas, also it keeps the compression of the main anchor point.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1363280569.042151.jpg.7fbaf2291365be3ae408802da9bbd3a3.jpg

Just a 60cm Lyon sling with dmm senital bina, nice and simple, just choke the sling through itself attach bina clip in line and rock and roll.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1363280672.207390.jpg.ccd6bdacd473d02924d970abdd37409e.jpg

This one is pretty much a mixture of the first 2, whist keeping the compression away from the main stem by creating a little slack in the line between the alpine butterfly knot and main anchor, I like to use this on windy days as it takes some drag out the line from the sway!

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1363281029.693713.jpg.20a0442fbfdc491e0e55dc73bb0c0435.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App

• 3 months later...

Do you guys find you are having more branches go on you than when climbing SRT? I've had a few snap that I'm sure they wouldn't have with drt! I find I can go out to the tips no problem, but when coming back in and my weight goes on them they start to really drop down! I'm quite lite, ten stone.